This one goes out to my boy Zollo.
Real ones know.
Had an idea of combining a bunch of individual music posts into one instead. Might hurt the blog stats (did anybody else notice the difference in the blog this week?) but I'm not concerned. (Quality > quantity.)
If it's well-received might make it a regular thing.
This Week In Music
This week we had the annual Billboard Music Awards on Wednesday the 14th.
- Friend of the program, Post Malone, who usually kills live performances, mailed in a bad lip-syncing performance for the ages.
The Tommy Lee guest spot was cool though.
- In a really sad story, former bass player for AC/DC, Paul Matters, passed away after years of living a troubled life. R.I.P.
- As Chief and Chaps both documented so well this week, badass Sturgill Simpson dropped a barn burner of a new album. I can't comprehend how this guy continues to push the envelope musically, putting out whatever he feels like it seems, and it's all somehow flames. I don't know shit about this music, technically "bluegrass", but if this is what it's about then count me in. I fuckin loved Sound and Fury because I couldn't remember hearing anything like it before. And it was just great music, (especially "Sing Along" and "Mercury In Retrograde"). The same applies with Cuttin' Grass.
- Pearl Jam dropped a new single, "Get It Back" which I know this crowd will love.
- "King Of The South" T.I. released a new album, The L.I.B.R.A. (The Legend is Back Running Atlanta). The album includes features from John Legend, Lil Baby, Rick Ross, Snoop Dogg, Benny the Butcher, Jadakiss, Jeremih, and Young Thug.
- Portugal The Man (who fucks real hard) decided to collab with fuckin Weird Al. No joke.
- Matt Beringer, lead singer from The National released a solo album, Serpentine Prison. Kinda sad boy shit, right up Lady Feitelberg's alley
- Ty Dolla Sign dropped a new song with Jhene Aiko and Mustard called "By Yourself"
- Biebs dropped a new downer of a song, "Lonely"
- The Struts released a new album, Strange Days
- Out of nowhere, Warner dropped a stripped down, acoustic version of "Mo Money, Mo Problems" (that I blogged earlier) and it's fuego.
- Tom Petty's estate released the "Wildflowers" special edition box set. Full blog about it can be found here -
-Leon Bridges dropped a new record featuring Lucky Daye and it's a jam.
- James Blake released a 4 song EP that has people really digging it.
- Linkin Park released a 20th Anniversary edition of Hybrid Theory, which I will have a full review of this week.
- Neil Young just casually dropped a song he'd been sitting on since 1972, "Come Along And Say You Will".
- The whole tik tok thing got really out of hand for Fleetwood Mac this month as this past week saw, "Dreams" hit #21 on the Billboard top 100.
- G Eazy dropped a new track with blackbear
- Lana Del Rey released a new song, "Love You Like A Woman"
- beabadoobee released her debut album Fake It Flowers. Her song "Care" fuckin bangs.
- Benny The Butcher dropped a new album featuring Lil Wayne, Freddie Gibbs, and Big Sean.
- The Weeknd remixed "In Your Eyes" with Kenny G.
- Black Thought dropped Stream Of Thought 3: Cane and Abel
Here is this weekend's playlist - 90's Rock Part 3
This week's "New New" playlist -
If I missed anything you'd like to see, drop it below.
If this is something people dig, also let me know. Maybe we can bring back Barstool Beats.