Absolutely frustrating night for the B's as they have dropped Game 5 to the Islanders 5-4 despite outshooting (35-15 during 5v5 play) and outplaying them. The Islanders special teams was the difference as they converted 3 out of their 4 power plays. Bunch of ticky tack calls and no calls all night long (for the Bruins). Credit to the NYI for making the Bruins pay though, and pushing them to the brink of elimination. Cassidy called out the officiating crew after the game… I'm sure he'll be a few thousand dollars lighter in the wallet but just seems like he's had enough haha. He sounds off…
"I could go on and on. Maybe we need to sell them more. Flop. But that's not us. You just hope they'd see them. And the same calls go against us. So it's not like I'm sitting here and saying, "Well, every call against us sucks." That's not true. It's just that at the end of the day, the similar plays … they need to be penalized on those plays."
I'm with Cassidy, but the B's PK was atrocious, and that's where losing Carlo hurts even more. But the Bruins had the Islanders on the ropes early and just couldn't extend their lead. Should've been 3-0 after the 1st period with all of their opportunities,. Just came up short, once again. Islanders bend, but don't break. Garbage penalties/no calls/whatever… the B's had chances tonight and just couldn't convert. Refs didn't help, but they fought right till the end.
FINAL: New York 5, Boston 4
Other news, notes and quotes:
- Tuukka Rask was pulled after the 2nd period. Cassidy said he was 100% (hasn't been all playoffs long). They assume he will be ready for Game 6 on Wednesday night, though.
- I liked Karson Kuhlman's game tonight, gave that 3rd line some much needed jump.
- I need to see Trent Frederic in the lineup. Curtis Lazar suffered a LBI and did not return. I'd move Kuraly to center and insert Frederic in the lineup for some much needed bite. Gotta continue to change up that bottom six.
- Fucking Kyle Palmieri loves scoring against the Bruins. It's insane. Killer.
- 3 assists for Charlie McAvoy who continues to do it all for the B's. 2 goals for David Pastrnak, a goal apiece for David Krejci and Brad Marchand. Still wasn't enough. B's will need their best players to bring it next game on the road.
- Hoping and praying Carlo and Miller can return for Game 6. Both skated today but we'll see if they'll be ready. Would be massive additions in a must win game.
B's will look to even the series and keep their season alive on Wednesday night at the Coliseum. They've been in this position before, backs against the wall.
This thing isn't over. Do or die Wednesday night. Just gotta believe.
B's in 7.