At only 26 years of age, Claressa is arguably the greatest female boxer of all time, but I need to mention Jake Paul in the headline in order to get casual fans to click... Such is the world we live in.
But now that I got you… Pay attention to this young lady.
Her backstory is tragic.
Her road to success is inspiring.
Her work ethic is unquestionable.
Her style is impetuous and her defense is impregnable.
And her dedication to family rivals Vin Diesel…
Here are the bullets:
- Raped at the age of 5 by her mom's boyfriend
- Dad was in prison from the time she was 2 until she was 9 years old.
- Mom was an alcoholic.
- Raised by her grandma.
- Battled a terrible speech impediment throughout childhood.
- Started boxing at the age of 11.
- Had a decorated amateur career (77-1), and won gold medals in the women's middleweight division at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, making her the first American boxer to win consecutive Olympic medals.
- Became the only boxer in history, female or male, to hold all four major world titles in boxing (WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO) simultaneously, in two weight classes.
- Undefeated boxing record of 11-0.
- The Boxing Writers Association of America gave her the 2018 Christy Martin Award - Female Fighter of the Year.
- In 2017, Shields won the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Award for "Biggest Powerhouse"… Narrowly beating out Vin Diesel. Afterward, Vin said he didn't mind losing to Claressa because…
She's also 1-0 in MMA narrowly beating Brittney Elkin in her first bout with a 3rd round TKO. And tonight, Wednesday, October 27th, she will step into the ring for the second time to fight Abigail "Brave" Montes of Mexico.
MMA is Robbie's lane, but I watched some tape on Montes. She's also pretty green (her record is only 2-0) and she comes straight forward, like a Mexican boxer. That could prove to be her downfall against a devastatingly accurate puncher like Shields… But, again, what the fuck do I know?
After that, Claressa will jump back to boxing and make a mandated WBC middleweight championship defense against Ema Kozin on December 11th. That fight will take place in England and… Here's where it gets interesting… It will be part of a doubleheader that’ll also feature Savannah Marshall
The same Savannah Marshall who just retained her WBO middleweight title.
And the same Savannah Marshall who is THE ONLY WOMEN TO HAVE BEATEN CLARESSA SHIELDS IN A BOXING RING SINCE SHE WAS 11-YEARS-OLD.
So the inevitable Shields vs Marshall fight in 2022 is something for boxing fans to look forward to.
Until then, watch the interview above to see just how extraordinary she is outside of the ring, and here's a sizzle reel that shows why many consider her the GWOAT inside the squared circle…
Take a report.
The 13th Round
George Kambosos Jr. Is A Gentleman2
Canelo Alvarez Better Watch His Back... Teofimo Lopez and I Are Becoming Close3
Canelo Alvarez Has Heavy Hands and A Filthy Mouth
Claressa Shields would FUCK UP Jake Paul5
Fists vs Fury Part 3 w/ Tyson Interview6
Anthony Joshua Will Have His Hands Full This Weekend7
13th Round- Boxing Matches and Rap Battles on a Tuesday8
The 13th Round with Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini9
The 13th Round - Teddy Atlas Talks About 'The Four Kings'10
The 13th Round - Caleb Plant Does Not Respect Canelo11
The 13th Round- Boxing Is About To Crown An Undisputed Champ Tonight12
The 13th Round: Fuck It... I Might Fight Heather "Heat" Hardy13
The 13th Round: Edgar Berlanga is a MONSTER