Well that was uuuuuuuugly. "Catastrophic" turnovers and piss poor puck management plagued the Bruins in Game 2, and the Panthers have tied the series. Let's get into it.
All zeroes after one period.
1:42 into the second Sam Bennett capitalized on a turnover. 1-0 Florida.
With Hampus Lindholm in the box for tripping, Brad Marchand buries a shorthanded goal thanks to an Anthony Duclair turnover. Huge goal. 1-1.
Eric Staal walks in and rips one past Linus Ullmark right after Marchand's answer. 2-1 Florida.
After an expired power play, Tyler Bertuzzi redirect ties the game. 2-2 after 2.
22 seconds into the 3rd Brandon Montour gave the Panthers their 3rd lead of the night. Looked like it might have redirected off Marchand and beat Ullmark high. 3-2 Panthers.
A Charlie McAvoy turnover led to Carter Verhaege extending the Panthers lead to 2. 4-2.
Brandon Montour's 2nd of the night made it 5-2.
Florida added an empty netter to make it 6-2.
Taylor Hall got the Bruins on the board with 1:10 to go. 6-3.
FINAL: Florida 6, Boston 3
News, notes and quotes:
- No Patrice Bergeron for the 2nd straight game. He's dealing with an injury (not illness), he did skate before the game and is listed as day to day. We'll see if he returns Friday night. I think he will.
- Sam Bennett made his return for the Panthers in Game 2 and immediately found himself on the scoresheet, opening the scoring in the 2nd. Brandon Carlo gave him an absolute gift. Horrible turnover. Bennett a big boost for Florida's top six.
- Turnovers were absolutely killer tonight for Boston. Not gonna win many games when they're this sloppy. Just so frustrating and uncharacteristic. Piss poor puck management too.
- Would love to see Matt Grzelcyk in Game 3. B's couldn't break the puck out to save their lives tonight.
- Brad Marchand dragged them into the fight, his 2nd goal of the postseason came shorthanded and tied the game in the 2nd. He was all over the ice and stayed disciplined when Gudas was all over him. Probably Boston's best player tonight.
- Tyler Bertuzzi recorded his first career playoff goal.
- I thiiiink Tomas Nosek will get a call for his late hit in the 3rd. Looked like an uneccesary elbow to the head.
- Things got scrappy at the end as expected after Nosek's hit.
- Linus Ullmark made some really great saves early but the B's left him out to dry for the most part. Just an absolute mess in the defensive zone in front of him. Unless he's still nursing something lower body wise (looked a bit slow getting up at times), I'm sticking with Linus in G3. Too early to call.
Sloppy. Uncharacteristic. Just zero execution. The Bruins and their self-inflected mistakes led to Florida tying up the series, but we haven't seen them at their best or even close to their best yet. Credit to Florida for capitalizing. One of Boston's worst performances all year… time to see how they respond. Regroup and we've got Game 3 coming up Friday night in Florida. No panic.