Tonight debuts the 7 part Derek Jeter documentary "The Captain" which will essentially be another piece of carefully marketed propaganda in a career of propaganda from a selfish player, despite what the media wants you to believe.
I'm sure tonight will tell you all about how great Jeter was, how he can walk on water, how iconic he was etc. We've seen it all , we've heard it all. However, there are some undeniable facts that need to also be stated.
- In the 1996 American League Championship Series during Game 1, Jeter's home run vs The Orioles was a result of blatant fan interference by Jeffrey Maier. Instead of the parades and key to the city Maier was given, he should have been arrested. Jeter's first major moment in NY was a result of a blown call.
- In 2014, Jeter's final season he posted his worst career Batting Average, worst OPS, and lowest amount of hits in his career. He refused (my words) to be dropped in the batting order. The Yankees needed to have the best lineup possible as they missed the playoffs by 4 games, losing the division by 12 games. Jeter went on a year long farewell tour receiving gifts and praise at every stadium he played in that season. Some would suggest Jeter's tour was not only a distraction to himself but the team as a whole, which caused them to miss the playoffs.
- His "Mr.November" title was earned via a Home Run in the 2001 World Series. Yankee fans (aka Jeter ball washers) gave him this title as Game 4 began on Halloween night carried after midnight (November 1st). What Yankee fans wont tell you is Jeter was 4 for 27 that World Series (.148) average , and the Yankees lost the series to The Arizona Diamondbacks. In a time remind you that the city in which he played in was grieving terrorist attacks. Some could say Jeter didn't show up when the city needed him the most.
- He never won an MVP.
- He refused (my words) to move to 3B when the Yankees signed Alex Rodriguez, a much more talented fielder at the time.
- Famous PA announcer Bob Sheppard stopped working Yankee games in 2007, Jeter approached Sheppard to use his intro the rest of his career (mind you Sheppard stopped working games because of illness so Jeter pestered (my words not his) Sheppard while he was sick) . No other Yankees were able to use the intro. (Reminder- Jeter was the Yankee "captain" so one may ask why he chose to isolate his teammates with this act, which is completely fair.) Sheppard died in 2010, Derek Jeter a man who adored him so much surely attended the funeral right ? Wrong, he stated he didn't even know when it was. Jeter even went as far as saying, "Having said that, I don't necessarily think you have to go to a funeral to honor someone." I guess once that poor sick man gave Jeter his voice recorded intro he no longer had any use for him. Sad.
- If MLB had reviews during the famous "flip play", there's a chance Jeremy Giambi would be called safe.
- Speaking of defense ... White Sox Dave did a great job covering Jeter's lack of defense in a 2020 blog
Negative 152 defensive runs saved (impeding a run from scoring by making a non-routine play): worst in baseball history and more than 2x the second worst ever
– Negative 66.1 ultimate zone rating (number of outs above or below average in range runs (explained below) or error runs: worst in baseball history
– 89.3 Range Runs rating, (how well he gets to baseballs not in his vicinity): worst in baseball history, 2x more than 2nd worst ever
– 11.2 Def rating, (how he fields his position with respect to league average): 8th worst in baseball history
- Derek Jeter's last hit was against a team managed by Buck Showalter. The situation was 1 out and a man on second with first base open. In nearly every situation, a manager would walk the batter to set up a double play situation. The Orioles manager chose not to walk Jeter. Why is this relevant ? Showalter first managed him in 1995. Some (me) would say Showalter's personal interests got in the way of his managerial decisions.
Again, as always these are just facts that should be stated on the same night that a documentary touting Jeter as the next Jesus Christ is being released. I find it in my best journalistic interest to state these facts. I look forward to educating people on the truth.