Looking For More Stuff Like 'Dune'? Here Are Some Options To Stream
For those of you out there that just watched 'Dune' and got the itch for more sci-fi movies, here are a few movies and a show that might scratch it.
1. Blade Runner 2049 - HBO Max - 99/100: This movie is obvious the last one from the director of 'Dune', Denis Villeneuve. To me, it is a nearly perfect movie. Beautiful landscapes, really good acting and great drama/action. One of the best sci fi movies ever made.
2. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Disney+ - 100/100: Star Wars was inspired a lot by the book Dune, from the desert landscape, to the jedi mind tricks and the spice mines. Empire Strikes Back is a perfect movie and has the same sort of scope, action and base motifs as the Dune world.
3. Arrival - Hulu, Paramount+ - 94/100: Like BR2049, this is from Denis. It is one of the better movies to revolve around aliens and has some incredible technical work. It's not overly similar to 'Dune' from a storyboard standpoint, but it has all the visuals that Denis loves and used in the movie. \
4. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - HBO Max - 94/100: This movie is very similar in makeup to 'Dune' in a lot of ways. Anime can be a hurdle for some of you reading this, but I would highly recommend this as an entry point. It's not weeby, it's basically just a cartoon of 'Dune'.
Starship troopers - Starz - 89/100: This is an incredible movie that is also incredibly misunderstood by a lot of people that watched it. Regardless, it has a lot of similarities to 'Dune' in a lot of ways and is always worth a watch.
6. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - FX Now - 90/100: The reboot trilogy of the apes movies is sneaky amazing. Personally, I think Dawn is the strongest within that trilogy. Fantastic CGI, action and acting(both mocap and real).
7. Raised By Wolves - HBO Max - SERIES: This series kind of flew under the radar and I'm not sure why. It's Ridley Scott directing an expensive series with incredible world building and very solid drama. It's not perfect by any means, but it is extremely my shit.