1. Alien + Aliens - 94/100 + 96/100 - PRIME VIDEO: Alien remains one of the best sci-fi movies ever made and, like the title may suggest, the best aliens movie ever. The blend of the genre with very pure horror still gets me to this day. And for Aliens, for Jimmy C to follow up and change the genre over to action-SciFi without missing a beat is still one of the most impressive feats by a director. Very rare case of a sequel to a GREAT movie being as good as the original.
2. Snowpiercer - 94/100 - NETFLIX: This is from Parasite director Bong Joon-ho and it rocks. Suspenseful and interesting plot that is enough to grip anybody. It would be a much more well known movie if Harvey Weinstein, who was the producer, didn't absolutely FUCK the release up. He kept micromanaging the final cut of the movie, didn't give it a wide release and switched distributers right before launch. Fucking dick (not some other reasons too)
3. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 90/100 - PRIME VIDEO: It's one of those movies you just gotta see and for good reason. It's one of Spielberg's best, one of the best alien movies ever, and filled to the brim with iconic lines and heart warming coming-of-age/friendship moments. Just make sure you have some reeses pieces on hand when you watch.
4. Arrival - 94/100 - HULU: From 'Sicario', 'Blade Runner: 2049' and 'Prisoners' director Denis Villeneuve, this movie is crazy. Definitly more of a drama experience than some of the other movies on this list, it's basically a prestige sci-fi movie. Amy Adams is insanely good in it, and should have gotten a lot more award love for her performance IMO.
5. Midnight Special - 91/100 - NETFLIX: If you are a fan of unraveling mysteries, you will love this movie. Probaby the most unknown on this list, it has a stacked cast (Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver, Sam Shepard(RIP) and Bill Camp), a really good story and great kid acting from Jaeden Martell (Bill from IT). Kid acting can absolutely derail a movie, but Martell does great.
6. The Abyss - 89/100 - PRIME VIDEO: For my money's worth, this is the most under-appreciated Cameron movie. I absolutely LOVE the underwater setting, the slow reveal and the acting from kings Ed Harris and Michael Biehn. The technology, specifically the liquid breathing thing, still freaks me out to this day.
7. Dredd - 87/100 - HULU: Not only is Dredd far superior to the original Stallone version, but it is objectivly one of the better non-franchise sci fi action movies to come out in the past 10 years. PHENOMENAL action, cool effect and a really good villian role from Queen Cersei herself, Lena Headey.