2 goal blown lead yet the B's scored a late goal to tie/send to OT, justtttttt for it to end in OT in 21 seconds. 5th straight loss this season to the Islanders. But it was the first game for the Bruins in a week so let's spin zone this.
Karson Kuhlman opened the scoring midway through the 1st. No clue how that got through. 1-0 Bruins.
Steven Kampfer added a power play goal late in the 1st. Two unlikely goal scorers make it 2-0 Bruins after 1.
Tuukka Rask finished the period but would not return to the game due to an UBI.
The Bruins squandered a 4 minute power play (Patrice Bergeron was high sticked) and seconds after it expired JG Pageau cut the Bruins lead to 2-1.
Five minutes into the 3rd Josh Bailey scored the equalizer. Islanders pinched along the boards and Bailey went straight to the net. 2-2.
With 2:56 to go Oliver Wahlstrom gave the Islanders their first lead of the night. Krejci couldn't clear the puck. 3-2 Islanders.
Charlie Coyle found Anders Bjork in the slot with 2:02 to go to tie things up late and send it to OT. 3-3.
Anthony Beauvillier with the GWG. 21 seconds into OT.
FINAL: New York 4, Boston 3 (OT)
News, notes and quotes:
- B's got David Pastrnak, David Krejci, and Craig Smith back from the COVID 19 list. DeBrusk and Kuraly remain on the list. No word on their availability for Saturday. Jarred Tinordi and Trent Frederic slid back into the lineup tonight as well.
- Love to see fans back in the building at the TD Garden. Can't wait to get back up to Boston.
- Two unlikely goal scorers in the 1st period, Karson Kuhlman and Steven Kampfer.
- Blowing a 2 goal lead? Not great. Loved the response with Bjork getting the game tying goal, but yeesh. When points are at a premium (especially with these teams winning above them in the standings). Tough to swallow. B's looked tired towards the end of the game as expected. They were rusty, as expected, but not capitalizing on that 4 minute PP in the 2nd, and then the Islanders scoring… felt like the straw that broke their back. All NYI after that.
- Spin zone… First game back. They had just one practice. Rask hurt in the 1st. I'll take the point. They got some secondary scoring. Just couldn't complete the full 60 minute effort.
- Like I said, Tuukka Rask made his return to the lineup tonight for the first time since March 7th but it was short lived after he suffered an UBI in the 1st period. Jaro Halak would finish the game. Tough goal to give up in OT. Certainly can't blame him for the loss but man that's a tough one. No word if Rask's injury was a re-aggravation from his previous injury. Cassidy will know more tomorrow.
B's continue their 7 game home stand on Saturday with a matinee against the Sabres (who have lost 16 straight). This one hurts. 5-0 vs. NYI this year. Frankie Borrelli is insufferable. But the B's will bounce back. I know they will.
but this is my current mood…