It's officially a new year. The Grammy's are on Janauary 26th which will officially coronate the years best, or at least who the academy deems worthy. But after that the reset button is hit and new music floodgates are opened.
Until then, this is kind of the dead season.
I put together a best of 2020 Spotify Playlist you can find below
as well as an Apple Music playlist -
as well as a Quick Mix I make annually for NYE.
(The Year-End Wrap Up mix is almost done.)
NYE was a televised affair this year. All the artists we'd normally see performing in front of huge crowds instead appeared on all the network's shows. With ABC's Dick Clark's Rockin New Years hosted by Ryan Seacrest and Lucy Hale leading the way.
Cyndi Lauper was a trainwreck-
J Lo also performed and blew the roof off while A-rod and her kids looked on
MGK burned the fuckin house down
Doja Cat showed up
Nelly did "Country Grammar" and "Rid Wit Me" for the 10 millionth times
and Megan The Stallion performed a strip club stage dance on national television
- Justin Bieber dropped a new song, "Anyone" and he filmed a new video for it which he had all of his tattoo's covered so he could portray "Rocky"
- MF DOOM's death was officially announced. R.I.P.
- Mike Will Made-It and Swae Lee are lucky to be alive after being involved in a serious car accident.
On Friday (Jan. 1), the Grammy-winning producer shared numerous photos on social media of his totaled luxury sports vehicle, noting that he and Swae luckily walked away from the incident with only minor injuries.
- Post Malone covered Black Sabbath and Alice in Chains With Slash, RHCP’s Chad Smith, and More.
He closed the year with “Rooster” by Alice in Chains and “War Pigs” by Black Sabbath. And similarly to how the Nirvana set featured Travis Barker on drums, Malone got some help from his famous friends like Slash, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer (and Will Ferrell lookalike) Chad Smith, and Jane’s Addiction bassist Chris Chaney.
- Bob Seger's legendary saxophonist Alto Reed passed away Wednesday at the age of 72 after a battle with stage four colon cancer.
- Barry Gibb dropped a new version of the Bee Gees' "Words" featuring Dolly Parton
Next week, Barry Gibb will release Greenfields: The Gibb Brothers Songbook, Vol. 1. The 12-track collection sees the Bee Gees founding member reimagine some of his classic songs with assistance from a wide range of country and Americana stars. As a preview, he’s unveiled a new duet version of Bee Gees’ “Words” recorded with Dolly Parton. Take a listen below.
Greenfields is officially out on January 8th via Capitol Records.
- The Black Keys released a 10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of Brothers
- The Foo Fighters continue to release new music, dropping a new song "No Son Of Mine"
- Noel Gallagher and his band High Flying Birds dropped a new single, “We’re Gonna Get There in the End”
- Kings of Leon teased new music coming on the 7th. The Followill brothers launched into the new year by sharing snippets of four new songs on social media, marking the Tennessee quartet's first new music in about nine months.
- Blake Shelton dropped "Minimum Wage" unexpectedly on NYE. Want to listen to it? Sorry, you can't. Although probably without bad intent with lines like "girl, your love can make a man feel rich on minimum wage", it got roasted for being tone-deaf in the current economic climate. Not to mention the power couple's combined net worth is a quarter of a billion, with a B. The song got so roasted that his team took down the music video and it isn't on Spotify. The internet remains undefeated and probably not going to win Blake of the Year.
- On the opposite end of the spectrum, Luke Bryan and Katy Perry get playful with a tongue-in-cheek mini-performance with the unofficial title of "2020 Sucks." Won't blow your socks off or listen to on repeat, but it had better success than the previous entry.
- ALERT - Florida Georgia Line are not breaking up. However, Tyler Hubbard and Brian Kelley will be releasing solo projects this year. It was a product of not touring this past year and having more time to themselves. Kelly, "… falling in love with my guitar and writing songs again, even more than ever." GFL will still release an album in February and are keeping some tour dates on the 2021 calendar in hopes of hitting the road for some live music.
h/t - Augie
- Grimes released a new Miss Anthropocene Rave Edition-
As its title suggests, the new collection finds Grimes’ original Miss Anthropocene album reworked for the club atmosphere. The 11-track effort includes remixes from pop producer and longtime associate BloodPop (Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber) and hip-hop artist Channel Tres. The bulk of the project, however, comes courtesy of veteran dance music producers like Modeselektor and techno/tech-house purveyors Richie Hawtin, Tale of Us, and ANNA.
- Dzeko shared first end-of-year mashup mix since 2014