For this weekend's featured playlist I've got 100 of the best songs to sing with your friends, or total strangers, when you're shit canned. Pretend you hate any single one of these when bombed.
THIS WEEK IN MUSIC
- Ariana Grande stayed atop the charts with the help of her new ridiculously scandalous video she dropped. Which Liz covered
- President Obama dropped a playlist on everybody's ass.
And honestly, aside from the double dose of Beyonce, it's pretty flawless.
- The American Music Awards are this Sunday and features a pretty stacked lineup of performances including - A Justin Bieber medley of hits, The Weeknd and Kenny G, Doja Cat and Bebe Rexha, Dan + Shay, Lewis Capaldi, Machine Gun Kelly, Bad Bunny with Jhay Cortez, Bell Biv DeVoe, Billie Eilish, BTS, Dua Lipa, Jennifer Lopez and Maluma, Katy Perry, Lil Baby, Megan Thee Stallion, Nelly and Shawn Mendes.
- Miley released her newest single "Prisoner" featuring Dua Lipa
- HAIM dropped a new song featuring booming drums and guitars as flashy as a lightning storm, called “Feel the Thunder". Its a throwback to the go-go 1980s.
- in the biggest news of the week, Jeezy and Gucci Mane put on a pretty insane Verzuz battle last night. (I tried to finish the blog today but didn't want to rush it. Will be up tomorrow) If you missed it, highly recommend you check out the recording -
- Jeezy also timed his new album release perfectly with his Verzuz battle. The Recession 2 dropped 2 days ago and is fuego
- Nicki Minaj celebrated the ten-year anniversary of her landmark album Pink Friday on Nov 20th. To celebrate, the veteran rapper has shared a new deluxe edition of her debut record featuring eight bonus tracks. The 10th anniversary Complete Edition consists of the original 13 Pink Friday tracks alongside bonus songs from the era like “BedRock” and “Girls Fall Like Dominoes”. There’s also an additional version of “Roman’s Revenge” with Lil Wayne instead of Eminem.
- From prison, Kodak Black has dropped a new album called Bill Israel. Last year the 23-year old rapper plead guilty to federal weapons charges in Florida and was sentenced to 46 months in prison. In spite of that Black seemingly found time to record his third studio album.
- Saint Jhn released a new album that sounds like a bunch of tracks he planned on saving for his next album project along with a bunch of remixes he's had reworked since Covid shut everything down.
- GoldLink has returned with his first new song of 2020, “Best Rapper in the Fucking World”, produced by Kaytranada.
- Megan Thee Stallion dropped her debut album Good News
- Meek Mill has released a new EP aptly titled Quarantine Pack.
- DaBaby released a new EP called My Brother’s Keeper (Long Live G), dedicated to his late brother
- Nas dropped a new song called “Flying Stars Flying” for the upcoming HBO adaptation of Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between The World And Me.
- Lil Yachty redid the Saved By The Bell Theme Song for the new reboot
- Atlanta hip-hop group Goodie Mob have just released Survival Kit, their new album featuring André 3000, Big Boi, and Chuck D of Public Enemy.
- Run the Jewels have shared a new song called “No Save Point” that’s part of the upcoming video game Cyberpunk 2077. It’s the hip-hop duo’s first release since their stellar RTJ4 album from June.
- Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder has unveiled a pair of new solo singles. Entitled “Matter of Time” and “Say Hi”, the songs were initially premiered during a livestream event benefiting Eddie and Jill Vedder’s EB Research Partnership.
- Green Day revived their new wave side-project "The Network" after 15 years. Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tré Cool released a brand new EP called Trans Am, and promised that a full-length sequel to 2003’s Money Money 2020 would be following close behind.
- Mumford & Sons released a new live EP Delta Tour
6 live tracks from the past 3 years of tours. Includes 3 originals and 3 covers, including Nine In Nails "Hurt", "Blood" with Gang of Youths (a cover of the Australian band The Middle East), and the Beatles "With A Little Help From My Friends". The Mumford original "Awake My Soul" features The Milk Carton Kids. Another original "Slip Away" comes for their first album Sigh No More produced by Markus Dravs (Arcade Fire). Wiki has this little nugget about recording the debut album - "At the time, band members did not even own their own instruments—Dravs initially turned them away when they showed up at the recording sessions empty-handed."
- New track from Two Feet "Think I'm Crazy - Unplugged". The unplugged version just released is in addition to the original released Oct 2. One of those songs where you think, "where have I heard this before?"
- Lana Del Rey released a cover of George Gershwin’s song “Summertime”
- Bleachers, the pop-rock project from Jack Antonoff, returned with a new song called “Chinatown” featuring Bruce Springsteen -
- The Deftones Unveil Mike Shinoda Remix of “Passenger”.
“Passenger” is a standout track on White Pony, featuring guest vocals from Tool singer Maynard James Keenan. On this version, Linkin Park’s Shinoda turns the tune into an ambient electronic track while maintaining the dynamic vocal interplay between Keenan and Deftones singer Chino Moreno that was in the original song. The remix album Black Stallion will arrive as part of a 20th anniversary deluxe edition of White Pony, set to be released on December 11th.
- Billie Eilish dropped a new song, titled “Therefore I Am”. Over a swaggering hip-hop-like beat, Eilish can be heard nonchalantly shrugging off a certain someone. “So go and have fun, I really couldn’t care less, and you can give him my best,” she sings early on, before making things crystal clear on the chorus: “I’m not your friend… or anything.”
- New Trevor Hall "More Than Love" (Sofi Tukker remix) just released. Original released Sep 3.
- New Pitbull, Sak Noel, & Salvi - "Que Rica (Tocame)" - great nostalgic reference to Sofa King
COUNTRY CORNER -
Steve Earle (think "Copperhead Road") will release a new album J.T. in on Jan 4, 2021 honoring his late son and musician Justin Townes Earle - that date would have been his 39th birthday. Justin struggled with drugs and alcohol, relapsing twice. Nashville police determined his Aug 20th death a likely overdose. The album will feature 10 previous tracks and 1 new track "Last Words" for his son. Earle said about his son, "For better or worse, right or wrong, I love Justin Townes Earle more than anything else on this earth… this record… was the only way I knew how to say goodbye." All advances and royalties are being donated to a trust for his Justin's 3-year-old daughter, Etta St. James Earle. One track on the album is Steve's cover of his son's "Harlem River Blues" which won Song of the Year at the 2011 Americana Honors & Awards.
- Miranda Lambert surprise release "Champion" as part of the season finale soundtrack of the podcast Make It Up As We Go scripted podcast which follows a young singer-songwriter pursuing a music career. Billy Bob Thourton, Dennis Quaid, Bobby Bones and Craig Robinson are part of the cast, with Miranda and LIndsay Ell playing themselves.
- Lady Antebellum has a new single featuring Thomas Rhett called "Heroes"
- New Chris Young ft. Kane Brown title track "Famous Friends"
- New Russell Dickerson featuring Florida Georgia Line "It's About Time"
- A New Spencer Burton record, "Nothing's Changed"
- New Jon Langston track, "Happy Ever After"
- Koe Wetzel released "Cold & Alone"
- Saved the best for last and a name fitting for the story… Luke Dick teamed up with Dierks Bentley for "Blazers". Dick has written for Dierks' and Brothers Osborne duet hit "Burning Man". But "Blazers" is part of Dick's collection of 13 songs to be released on Dec 4 which is the music for Red Dog, a documentary about Dick's unconventional childhood with his mom who worked as a dancer at the Red Dog, a popular Oklahoma City topless bar during the '70s oil boom. Dick's father was a regular at the Red Dog.