The Boys were back in Brighton today for Day 1 of 'return to play camp', here's everything you need to know from the day as the B's gets ready for the 2020 playoffs..
News, notes and quotes:
- Line combinations for Day 1... fuck it felt great seeing everyone tweet out the B's line combinations today. Nature is healing. Karson Kuhlman skated in David Pastrnak's spot (more on that below). Anders Bjork skated with JD and Krech and Sean Kuraly was along slide Coyle and Ritchie. Pretty odd lines but we'll see them shape up more as camp goes on. An all PB line of Carey - Studnicka - Senyshyn rounded out the forwards. No surprises on D.
- There were 2 prominent players missing on the ice today, David Pastrnak and Ondrej Kase, but it was due to international quarantine protocols. Blidh, Vaakanainen, Vladar and Frederic were also missing from the big group, but like Pastrnak and Kase they'll most likely join camp tomorrow.
- Torey Krug talked about his future with the media today… with a flat cap coming it's going to be difficult for the B's to re-sign him, BUT they should absolutely bring him back. I've been Team Re-Sign Krug for a long time now. It's gonna be difficult but I believe they can make it work. He's deserving of a raise of the 5.25 he's making now, but I think if the B's can get him 7 and under it'd be ideal. Would Krug take that? We'll see. He deserves the bag but a wrench has been thrown in every free agent's plans with the cap remaining at 81.5. Free Agency is now 7 days after the Cup has been awarded this year.
Torey talked about how his priorities has changed, especially as a husband and a father. But for him right now, it's time to focus on the playoffs.
"But right now, I’m just focused on this group right here and now and hopefully helping us win a championship. I’ll have to prepare for whatever’s to come after that."
- Best player on the ice today? It was Anders Bjork according to Bruce Cassidy. It'll be interesting to see how scrimmages go and where Bjorkie fits in the lineup. Pre-COVID he was in and out of the lineup. With Kase and Ritchie not having a ton of time to get adjusted Bruce could plug Bjork in as needed.
- Leaders lead. Patrice Bergeron said it best, if the B's want to succeed.. "It's about trusting one another to do the right thing and being committed to this thing to work." The leadership group isn't gonna babysit anyone to make sure everyone is in line.
- Steven Kampfer opted out of the playoffs, citing a congenital heart problem in both his son and wife. Wish him all the best and hope him and his family stay safe and healthy. The Stevie Snipes GIF is one of my all time favorites..
- I said it in my blog the other day, all of these guys will be leaving their families and risking their health to have their name etched on the Cup. I give them all the credit in the world.
That about rounds it up for today. Not sure if I'll do a blog every day of camp but I'll have any big stuff covered.
Still work to be done. 20 days to go until their first round robin game.