In a sloppy, frustrating, disgusting display of hockey, the Boston Bruins dropped Game 1 to the Toronto Maple Leafs by a score of 4-1.
Mid way through the first, Connor Clifton lit up William Nylander, Nylander retaliated with a high stick, and the B’s went to work on the PP.
Torey Krug to Brad Marchand to Brad Marchand. 1-0 Bruins.
Marcus was buzzin’ in the first period but my god, keep your head up Mojo!
Mitch Marner’s initial redirect (from Zach Hyman) hits the post, but he cleans up the rebound. Tie game 1-1.
AFTER 1: Leafs lead in SOG 10-8, Patrice Bergeron PPG, Mitch Marner EV, Leafs lead scoring chances 10-2
With Kapanen in the box for high sticking DeBrusk, the PP turned into a disaster. David Pastrnak immediately iced the puck. Then Jake DeBrusk mishandled, leading to a Mitch Marner breakaway. JD hooks him and Marner converted on the penalty shot. Absolute shit show. 2-1 Leafs.
With 1:35 left in the 2nd, William Nylander buries a breakaway five-hole on Tuukka Rask. B’s had an odd man rush the other way with Matt Grzelcyk but couldn’t get a shot off. Nazem Kadri with an unreal dish to Nylander and 3-1 Leafs. Complete fucking back breaker going into the 3rd.
AFTER 2: Bruins lead Leafs in SOG 28-24, Leafs score twice to take 3-1 lead (penalty shot, breakaway goal).
The Bruins look completely disastrous defensively. Offensively, some solid scoring chances but no finish. Charlie Coyle was buzzing. B’s tried to be too cute, just get the puck on net.
John Tavares added an empty netter after an uninspiring third period for the B’s. Just 4 SOG in the final frame for Boston.
FINAL: Toronto 4, Boston 1
News, notes and quotes:
- Charlie Coyle could not buy a god damn goal. He had some Grade A Chances but just couldn’t finish. Seems like he was the only guy to show up tonight for the Black and Gold.
- Jake DeBrusk got banged up after chasing down Mitch Marner, went to the room, returned to the bench but never looked the same. Was hurled over plenty of times on the bench after his shifts. Not good. Something to keep an eye on.
- How many fucking breakaways are the B’s going to allow? Not what you want to do against a potent offense.
- Too many passes for the Bruins offense. To quote Dave Portnoy, not enough pucks on net. Needed more pucks on net.
- Mitch Marner with 2 goal night (penalty shot, EV). He was as advertised. Tremendous skill.
- Lackluster 4 SOG for the Bruins in the 3rd. FOUR. Just not good enough.
- God awful night for Zdeno Chara, could not hang with Toronto’s speed. No show from David Pastrnak.
- Tuukka Rask looked strong early but he’s probably hoping he had that Nylander breakaway goal. Finished the night with 29 saves.
- Strong 37 save performance for Freddy Andersen. He looked solid in net for Toronto.
The bottom line is that the Bruins made it too easy on the Leafs. Sloppy turnovers. Once of the most repulsive performances I’ve seen from this lineup all season. Just atrocious. The Bruins know they can play better, they HAVE to play better if they want to even the series in Game 2.
Burn the tape and get ready for Saturday.