Advertisement

Man Dies After Being Sucked Into An MRI Machine

First Post- A 32-year-old salesman, Rajesh Maru, died after he was sucked into a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine when he walked into the room with an oxygen cylinder at Mumbai’s Nair Hospital on Saturday night.

According to media reports, when Maru entered the MRI room, the metallic cylinder activated the MRI machine’s magnetic force which sucked the victim into it, along with the cylinder. According to NDTV, his hand got stuck in the machine, following which ward boys pried his body out. He was rushed to the emergency room where he was declared dead within 10 minutes.

Harish Solanki, Maru’s brother-in-law, alleged that a ward boy asked the victim to go inside with the cylinder. “When we told him that metallic things aren’t allowed inside an MRI room, he said ‘sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai’ (it’s fine, we do it every day),” a Times Nowreport quoted Solanki as saying. He blamed the hospital for medical negligence.

Anyone who has undergone an MRI knows that it’s one of the scariest machines we’ve invented as humans. Even people who aren’t claustrophobic become claustrophobic in these death tubes. The operators always ask you what type of music you want to listen to before giving you a pair of headphones from like 1956. Just as you start to enjoy the soothing sounds of Coldplay, the machine kicks into gear and you can’t hear a fucking thing. It’s like trying to listen to a walkman on an artillery range. Oh, and if you move a muscle, you have to start that portion over.

Having said that, it’s pretty amazing how detailed the pictures come out. Truly an amazing technology that can find tiny tears in muscles and lets you know exactly what you stuck up your ass the night before when your acid guy, whom you were told was “legit,” gave you a bad batch…

As for this unfortunate soul who lost his life in India, I’m a little confused as to the details. He walked into the room with a massive oxygen canister and the machine sucked him in like a cork? And apparently, some “ward boy” advised them he’d be safe bringing metal objects in because they “do it every day”? Something is rotten in Mumbai, and it goes beyond the typical unrefrigerated meat, fish, fruit, and vegetables sold on the street under the blistering sun. Everyone knows you don’t bring metal into an MRI! Those signs are everywhere, and they always ask you if you have any metal plates in your body first. Something tells me this story goes a little deeper than a negligent ward boy.

MRI: Murder, Right India?