Black Friday Weekend - 20% OffShop Now

Australian Man Bitten By A Deadly Snake Relaxes With A Beer While Waiting For The Ambulance



(Source) A Queensland man who was bitten by Australia’s deadliest snake calmly reached for a cold beer and sat down to wait for an ambulance. Rod Sommerville, 54, was bitten on the finger by an eastern brown snake – the world’s second most venomous snake – while working in his garden in Yeppoon, Central Queensland. But it’s what happened next that would impress even the toughest survivalists. Mr Sommerville hit the snake over the head with his shovel and called himself an ambulance. He then grabbed a cold beer from the fridge and quietly waited for help to arrive, according to the New Zealand Herald.

‘If you panic, it makes it worse,’ Mr Sommerville told the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin. ‘I said to myself, if I’m going to cark it (die) I’m going to have a beer, so I got a Goldie (Australian beer XXXX Gold) out of the fridge and drank that.’ Things didn’t get any easier for Mr Sommerville once help arrived, though. The father suffered an allergic reaction to the anti-venom and spent four days in intensive care. And while he’s now recovering, he’s yet to be discharged from hospital, more than three weeks after being bitten. “The reaction nearly killed me as well, so it was a double whammy,” he said. There are more than 3,000 reported snake bites in Australia each year, but less than five on average prove fatal. The eastern brown snake is notorious for both its potent venom and its aggressive nature. A 59-year-old Australian woman died in November last year after being bitten on the ankle by an eastern brown snake.



Well then, I feel like a pretty big pussy. Get bitten by one of the deadliest snakes in the world, shovel it in the face and sit down for a refreshing beer while your life slowly slips away? Cool, man, yeah that’s totally how I would have handled this situation. Oh and that was a really funny story you told about the “double whammy” the time you almost died from the thing that was supposed to keep you from dying the first time. Again, exactly how I would have handled this entire thing. Meanwhile back in reality I spent yesterday sharting my pants at the dog park and throwing away my underwear at a Starbucks because I drank too much tequila on Saturday night. Almost cried when that happened, really made me realize I’m one big child trapped in a man’s body. Bet Rod Somerville has never done something as cool as that though. Mr. survive deadly snake bites with a bottle of beer. Poop your pants and then come talk to me bro.