The Boston Bruins are locked into the 3rd seed in the East and will officially play the Washington Capitals in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs this Saturday night. Taylor Hall sent Bruins fans home happy with the OT winner tonight, as the B's beat the Islanders 3-2 in OT.
B's found themselves with a handful of power plays in the 1st and then Komarov threw a buttend cheapshot to Pastrnak's gut.
Taylor Hall opened the scoring with a PPG from an absurd angle. He was all over the ice in the first, drew 2 penalties and was rewarded with the goal. 1-0 Bruins.
Oliver Wahlstrom tied things up on the 4 on 3 with the Islanders on the PP (Hall in the box for crosschecking). 1-1.
David Krejci found Brad Marchand in front of the net as the Bruins regained the lead midway through the 2nd. 2-1 Bruins.
2:16 after Marchand's goal, Mat Barzal swung to the front of the slot and wristed one past Rask. 2-2.
The Islanders pulled the goalie late in the 3rd as they needed a regulation win to at least have a chance for them to earn the 3rd seed, but they couldn't get anything past Rask.
Taylor Hall with his second of the night, the OT winner… what a goal. Through Leddy's legs and the backhander past Sorokin. Nasty.
FINAL: Boston 3, New York 2 (OT)
News, notes and quotes:
- Ondrej Kase returned to the lineup after missing the last 53 games. Kase slotted in on the 4th line on the right with Jake DeBrusk and Curtis Lazar but he would play just 6:49… leaving the game after the 2nd period. Upper body injury and would not return. Bruce Cassidy didn't have much of an update on him after the game, just said he couldn't finish the game, that's never good and he's doubtful for tomorrow.
- Taylor Hall drew two penalties in the first and was all over the ice tonight. Got rewarded with the PPG in the 1st (from an absurd angle, granted he is a left shot) and then capped off his night with the SLICK OT winner. He's now up to 8 goals, 6 assists for 14 points in his 16 games as a Bruin. THIS is the Taylor Hall the Bruins were hoping they were getting, and boy did they get him. Can't wait to see what damage No. 71 can do in the playoffs.
- Brad Marchand picked up his 29th of the season, thanks to a perfect feed from David Krejci. He recorded his 40th assist of the year on Taylor Hall's PPG in the first. Just Marchand doing Marchand things.
- I thought Chris Wagner had a really nice game (missed last 5 games due to injury). Forechecked well. Had a few shots. He's fighting for a spot in this lineup come Saturday night. We'll have to see how the bottom six shakes out.
- Tuukka Rask made 16 saves on 18 shots in his final regular season start tonight. Jeremy Swayman in net tomorrow. We'll see a ton of guys get some rest tomorrow.
BRING ON THE CAPITALS!
The Bruins will face Zdeno Chara and the Capitals in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. This Saturday night. I'll have your first round preview on Friday giving you everything you need to know before puck drops.
It was a great night to win a hockey game. Bring on the Caps.