All three newly acquired Boston Bruins were on the ice today for morning skate before tonight's game against the Buffalo Sabres. If you've been living under a rock the B's got Taylor Hall and Curtis Lazar from the Sabres in exchange for Anders Bjork and a 2021 2nd round pick. Mike Reilly came to Boston from Ottawa in exchange for a 3rd round pick in 2022. The Bruins will look to snap their two game losing streak against the Sabres who just dealt them Hall and Lazar. Revenge game already?
News, notes and quotes heading into tonight:
- All eyes are on Taylor Hall. No. 71 will play tonight alongside David Krejci and Craig Smith as his line mates. Hall wanted to be in Boston, he had a NMC in Buffalo and was able to help facilitate his trade to come to the Bruins. He sees himself being a Bruin for a few years but knows he needs to do his part and help this team win. All he really cares about his helping this team win, he doesn't have to be "the guy", the entire top line will continue carry that weight. I'm excited to see what he can help bring to the B's and it starts tonight. Think he's gonna gel real well with this team and this locker room and I'm fired up he's a Bruin.
- Is anyone happier than David Krejci right now?
- Kevan Miller (knee), Matt Grzlecyk (upper body) and Trent Frederic (sick) were not on the ice this morning. Miller will play tonight though. Frederic is looking at a Thursday return.
- Curtis Lazar has been nursing a lower body injury but is a game time decision for tonight. He'd slot in as 4C with Kuraly on his left and Wagner on his right.
- New Bruin Mike Reilly will slot in tonight on the 2nd pairing, with Steven Kampfer. Excited to see him help out the Bruins transition game and see if he can help chip in offensively as well. You'll see him man the top power play unit with Matt Grzelcyk out of the lineup. B's PP has looked pretty garbage as of late (this weekend), excited to see it return to form. I know Hall is the big name but Reilly is a sneaky solid acquisition from Sweeney.
- Taylor Hall was on PP2 during today's morning skate. Like I said above Reilly on PP1.
- On the flip side of things, Anders Bjork will play against the Bruins tonight for the Buffalo Sabres. Don Sweeney cited it was a difficult phone call, Cassisy spoke too about how great of a kid Bjork was. Just didn't work out in Boston but all the best to him in Buffalo.
- Jeremy Swayman gets the start in net tonight. Tuukka Rask will likely return on Thursday vs. the Islanders.
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Hall - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Coyle - DeBrusk
Kuraly - Lazar - Wagner
Lauzon - McAvoy
Reilly - Kampfer
Tinordi - Clifton
Wouldn't be surprised if DeBrusk and Smith flip at some point tonight / in the future. People forget Ritchie - Coyle - Smith started during training camp and were pretty good. We'll see if Hall and Krejci can get some chemistry going.
Charlie McAvoy and Curtis Lazar are both game time decisions tonight but I suspect both will play.
Looks like Jakub Zboril will be the odd man out on defense tonight with McAvoy's return and Reilly's debut.
It's a great night to win a hockey game.
ps. how fast do you think Sweeney said no to this?
p.p.s the Chiclets guys have an exclusive bet in the Barstool Sportsbook (PA, MI, IL) app. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER for help.