The Bruins had a 2-1 lead in the 3rd but couldn't hang on and eventually fell to the Philadelphia Flyers in OT.
Travis Konecny opened up the scoring for the Flyers, just a tough rebound given up by Vladar. He tried to hit the puck to his glove but instead Konecny bounced on it. 1-0 Flyers.
With less than 3 minutes in the period Karson Kuhlman sniped one to tie. Great pinch down the boards by Zboril. What a shot. 1-1.
The Bruins had an early PP left over from the 1st, and Patrice Bergeron redirected the go-ahead goal. 2-1 Bruins.
With Jeremy Lauzon in the box for his 2nd holding penalty of the night, Sean Couturier tied things up for the Flyers on the PP. 2-2.
Travis Sanheim won it for the Flyers 3:08 into OT after Patrice Bergeron blew a tire at the blue line.
FINAL: Philadelphia 3, Boston 2 (OT)
News, notes and quotes:
- Jake DeBrusk made his return tonight after missing 6 games (COVID 19). DeBrusk slotted in on the 3rd line alongside Charlie Coyle and Zach Senyshyn. Anders Bjork the scratch. DeBrusk had 16:13 TOI. Thought he had his legs going, but didn't look 100%. Senyshyn had a tough game, had just one shift in the 2nd, team low 7:38 TOI. Woof. I think Cassidy is still trying to figure out his forward lines, I imagine Bjork is back in tomorrow night.
- Patrice Bergeron extended his point streak to 4 games (2G, 2A) with his PPG in the 2nd period. His 899th point. Unfortunate ending for him in OT catching a rut at the blue line.
- Jeremy Lauzon returned to the lineup after getting scratched on Saturday and didn't have the bounce back game he wanted. 2 tough holding penalties, one leading to the tying goal in the 3rd. He just hasn't been the same player pre-hand injury.
- This Nick Ritchie hit was thunderous to say the least.
- Dan Vladar got the start tonight. Scheduled start. Jaro Halak returned a positive COVID 19 test and has been added to the list. We'll likely see Jeremy Swayman in net tomorrow. Tuukka Rask is traveling but will not play tomorrow. Thought Vladar played well, made some bailout saves in the 2nd with the Flyers on the PP. Gave the B's a chance to win tonight, but unfortunately they came up short.
Just wasn't the Bruins' night, frustrating to see that lead disappear and then lose out on the second point when points are at a premium right now. Update standings:
Back at it tomorrow night in Philly. Gotta grind out a win on the second night of a back to back.