The Bruins have been pushed to the brink of elimination thanks to an uninspiring performance in Game 4. Tampa has taken a commanding 3-1 series lead by rattling off three straight wins, including today's 3-1 win. Not great!
Ondrej Palat opened the scoring after a tough turnover by the B's int he neutral zone. Broken play. Too many guys just watching the puck. 1-0 Tampa. B's had given up a few odd man opportunities before this goal.
The B's started the 2nd period on the PP, had a few chances but no dice.
With 7:13 left in the 2nd it was Ondrej Palat scoring once again. Halak missed it with his glove. Soft goal. 2-0 Tampa.
Nick Ritchie was assessed a 5 minute boarding penalty for burying Yanni Gourde. Dumb hit. Gourde was slow to get up but eventually skated off on his own.
B's had nearly killed off Ritchie's 5 min penalty (4:32) but a shot from Victor Hedman gets blocked by Joakim Nordstrom and floats in. 3-0 Tampa.
Jake Debrusk made it a 3-1 game late on the PP. 12:56 to go in the 3rd. 3-1 Tampa.
FINAL: Tampa 3, Boston 1
News, notes and quotes:
- Talked about how the Bruins needed to respond after getting whooped 7-1 in Game 3… didn't think this was how these B's were gonna follow that game up. Disappointing to say the least. Still took dumb penalties, undisciplined,
- Sean Kuraly is still day to day. Bruce opted to go back to 12F/6D… Karson Kuhlman slotted in to play alongside Nick Ritchie and Charlie Coyle. Thought Kuhlman had some really good flashes but ultimately it didn't matter.
- B's were lucky to only be down 1-0 after the 1st, too many turnovers and odd man chances for Tampa. Brayden Point has been single handedly burying the B's this series.
- It simply comes down to Tampa's bottom six being better than Boston's top six. The third line especially. Kuraly's absence the last 2 games was a massive loss for the B's.
- Just an absolutely dumb, horribly timed 5 minute major from Nick Ritchie burying Yanni Gourde near the boards. Puck was long gone. You can stomach these plays when you're up, but Ritchie single handedly stopped any momentum and any chance of the B's coming back. Tampa would make it a 3-0 game on the PP. Outside of Game 2, Ritchie hasn't showed me anything.
- For as good as the 2nd line was against Carolina, they have been pretty nonexistent (outside of JD's goal today) in this series. A testament to how skilled the Lightning are. Kase has been snakebitten like you read about.
- Jaro Halak had a few days off, but still allowed some soft goals. The Palat goal especially. Should've been a routine glove save. I said before the series the B's go as far as he does. Strong game 1 and then a let down the rest of the way. Can't totally blame him, but he's gonna want some of those goals back for sure.
- I miss Tuukka Rask.
- Infuriating, frustrating, whatever you wanna call it. Not the response I thought we were getting from the B's today.
Back at it Monday night. B's pushed to the brink, we'll see if they can dig out. Series ain't over, but it's not looking good. If you can't tell by this blog, I am depressed. I don't think the B's will roll over and die in Game 5 but they haven't shown me anything that makes me think they can rattle off 3 straight wins. Hopefully they prove me wrong.