Just a few quick live notes from the first episode of "The Last Dance". Maybe we'll discuss these further on tomorrow's Mickstape. Maybe we won't. Who can really say for sure?
- Michael Jordan was much cooler than everyone else. This is the hard-hitting analysis you come to Whiskers for. This the context that you just cannot get from Basketball-Reference or Youtube
- I get that the 1998 team was breaking down but having to answer repeated questions about if it's time to rebuild after winning five rings in seven seasons is absurd.
- Michael Wilbon is from Chicago? Illinois?? This is the first time I've heard him mention this.
- The scene where MJ parked his car in the middle of the parking lot and walked in the practice facility? If you didn't tell me who it was walking in, I would have guessed it was Kobe. That's how well Kobe perfected the MJ walk.
- I still can't get over this. Imagine Bob Myers telling Steve Kerr this after another successful season:
- Young Phil Jackson looked a lot like Groucho Marx.
- "I feel like nobody could defend Michael"- Sidney Moncrief, reigning 2x Defensive Player of the Year. He said this after winning the second of his DPOY awards (1983,1984) in reference to a 21-year-old Michael Jordan in his rookie season. Christ.
- I can't prove it but I'm willing to recklessly speculate that the quote below from Bobby Knight sparked the beef between MJ and Isiah Thomas, Knight's former player.
Episode 2 thoughts coming soon. Check out the postgame that Eddie, Carl and I did right after episode two finished last night.