This Bulls news just keeps getting more and more dramatic.
Just when I thought things might be returning back to equilibrium over in Chi-town, this news has to come out.
And then, this.
Wait, is this for real? We're talking about the same Dell Demps that "ran" the Pelicans, right?
The Same Dell that traded away 5 first-round picks from 2011-2018?
- Traded 2011 1st round pick to Portland for Jerryd Bayless (pick ended up being Tobias Harris)
- Traded Nerlens Noel and a 1st round pick to Philly for Jrue Holiday. Pick ended up being 10th overall.
- Traded 1st round pick to Houston for Ömer Asik, Omri Casspi and cash considerations. Pick ended up being 15th.
- Traded Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and its 2017 first-round and second-round pick to Sacramento for Demarcus Cousins. Pick ended up being 10th overall.
- Traded 2018 first-round pick for Nikola Mirotić.
The same Dell Demps that was so bad at his job that Anthony Davis, a beloved figure in New Orleans, had so little confidence in him that he asked for a trade?
The same Dell Demps that advocated benching AD in every fourth quarter while simultaneously cock-blocking a trade that would send Davis to the Lakers for a boatload of players and draft picks?
The same Dell Demps that was FIRED?
That one? Yeah, that's gonna be a no for me dawg.
This cannot be real life. There are buzzy news bites out there I hope are real, you know, for the drama, but this is not one of them.
If Chicago really wants to change the culture and start rebuilding the franchise back to the prominence and luster it had back in the '90s and again (briefly) when Derrick Rose was in his prime, they need to avoid Demps like the franchise killer (and franchise PLAYER killer) he has proven to be. They need to avoid him like a back to the basket big-man with a litany of knee issues.
In other words, Demps is the Greg Oden of GMs. Strike that. In Oden's case it was bad luck; in Demps' case it's just the fact he's really shitty at his job. I have a lot of faith in Arturus Karnisovas based on his ability to develop players along with a strong draft record, but the one thing that would shake my faith would be for him to hire Demps. He would be insane to even entertain this idea. But hey, this is the post-Jordan Bulls we're talking about, so anything is possible, even a hire this bad.