A bad giveaway behind the net led to an early PPG goal for Sharks’ Logan Couture. 1-0 San Jose. Halak tried to make a make a play on the puck but it didn’t quite make it to the trapezoid. Tough spot to be. Matt Grzelcyk was in the box for hooking on Melker Karlsson.
Jake DeBrusk took a high stick to the face (lost a chiclet) and the Bruins were awarded a four minute PP. Torey Krug touched a pass to David Krejci (from David Pastrnak’s circle) who tied things up at 1 apiece. 1-1.
37 seconds later Jake DeBrusk finished a pretty passing play with Marcus Johansson and David Krejci. 3-1 Bruins JUST LIKE THAT. Jake DeBrusk extends his goal scoring streak to 6 games with his 20th of the year.
While shorthanded, Brad Marchand gathered a lob pass from Patrice Bergeron, turned Erik Karlsson inside out and beat Martin Jones five-hole. His 25th career shorthanded goal (ties Bruins all-time record). 4-1 Bruins after 2.
During the 3rd, Zdeno Chara and Evander Kane started to go at it. After Chara drilled Kane in the corner, Kane decided to drop the gloves with the 6’9 giant… after getting the better of him and knocking him down, Chara came back and was FURIOUS.
David Backes and Michael Haley would drop them shortly after, with Haley getting the better of Backes. Hate Backes fighting when it’s unnecessary.
FINAL: Boston 4, San Jose 1
News, notes and quotes:
- The Bruins poured it on with 16 SOG in the 1st period and held the Sharks to just four shots in the 2nd.
- Charlie Coyle is starting to get more comfortable with the black and gold. Coyle drew a penalty in the 1st (should’ve been a penalty shot), and it seems like he’s bringing out the better side of David Backes.
- Marcus Johansson impressed in his first game with the B’s, he slotted in with David Krejci and Jake DeBrusk on the right side and picked up an assist on Jake’s goal. He looked great on the 2nd PP as well. The addition of him and Coyle have balanced out the lineup.
- David Krejci’s 15th of the season came on the PP in the 1st. 2 PPGs and 2 PP assists in his last 7 games, after no PP points in his previous 8 games. (Shout out Jack Edwards for the stat).
- Jake DeBrusk extended his goal-scoring streak to 6 games. He now has 20 goals on the season (career high) after a slow start.
- Charlie McAvoy has quietly returned to form. Kudos to the entire D core who shut down the Sharks tonight.
- Noel Acciari took a puck to the face and didn’t play the rest of the 3rd period. No update yet from Bruce Cassidy.
- Brad Marchand tied Rick Middleton with his 25th career shorthanded goal and 25th on the season. Erik Karlsson (on a bum groin) was put through the spin cycle, and Marchy beat Jones five hole. Shorty king. He had a goal and 2 assists tonight, his 34th career three point game. Hopefully Erik Karlsson is okay. Didn’t play in the 3rd. Looks like he re-aggravated his groin injury in the 2nd and then Marchand made quick work of him shorthanded.
Fallen Weymouth Police Officer Michael Chesna’s family dropped the ceremonial puck for First Responders Night. Nice gesture from Zdeno Chara allowing Weymouth’s own Charlie Coyle to take the face off in his first game at TD Garden as a Bruin.
Player safety taking a look at Chara:
Wrote this in the Chara blog, but to me Kane is lunging and Chara didn’t extend his elbow, looks like he got him with his shoulder. Doesn’t help Z is 7 feet taller. That being said, who knows what player safety sees. Chara was given a two minute penalty for elbowing (plus the 5 for fighting). So we’ll wait and see what comes of this.
DeBrusk referring him to Thanos is hilarious.
The Boston Bruins are good, the Boston Bruins are real good.
It was a great night to win a hockey game.