“[If I were the Sixers], I would take Joel Embiid. He’s not going to play next year now. He’s not going to play. He’s not going to make a lot of money on his rookie contract, so you get like a three or four year window to see if he’s going to get healthy. And if he doesn’t pan out, you’re not losing anything. But also, you’re still going to get a really good player at No. 10. And your team is going to be better, and then you’ll probably get another lottery pick next year.
“He’s the best player in the draft. He’s not going to cost you that much money.”
“Michael Carter-Williams is Michael Jackson playing with a bunch of Tito Jacksons. You got to give him a chance, get him some help.”
The Brad Daugherty trade
“I didn’t realize the Sixers were a bonehead organization. We had the No. 1 pick in the  draft, and they traded Brad Daugherty. I’ll never forget that. I was excited to play with Brad Daugherty, and I still had Moses (Malone), who was my mentor — I thought we would have been an instant contender in the Eastern Conference. But they traded the [No. 1] pick and ended up getting Roy Hinson, who was a solid player, and they traded Moses, so I got really screwed in that deal — I lost a center who was still playing well, I thought I was going to get a young guy who Moses could mentor like he did me and we would be a contender for the next 10 years, but the Sixers were just stupid.
“Our team went downhill after that. That was unfortunate because I wanted to win here in Philadelphia.”
Too long in Philly?
“The biggest mistake I probably made in my career: I should have got out of Philadelphia two years sooner because I went through three years where it was just brutal hearing about the rumors all the time. I was wasting my talent here because we didn’t have a good team.”
Future general manager?
“When I’m a general manager, which is my next goal. When I’m a general manager, my obligations [are] to my fans. When I’ve been paying a guy 20 million dollars a year, that’s loyalty. I’m paying a guy 10, 15, 20 million dollars, that’s loyalty. But I don’t think I have to pay him until the day he die.”
The networks know their role, and it’s to let Charles be Charles. You want to bring him on TNT or CSN and be an experienced analyst of the game? Yeah, fuck that. Really no other person on TV who can be 100% themselves and 100% entertaining. “I like Thaddeus Young…….uh…..and the rest of those guys obviously.” The man hasn’t payed attention to a full basketball game since he was playing and can still analyze with the best of them. Can’t wait until he becomes a GM and tries to pay his players in Baconaters.
FYI: Barkley and Burrell are both within city limits right now. May need to get them both in the same place like the Keymaster and the Gatekeeper just to see what happens.
Obligatory for most Sir Charles related posts – The Top 10 Charles Barkley Quotes Of All-Time
10. “I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I’d work for the Klan.”
9. On his 17-year old daughter not dating yet: “Thank goodness. I just hope she doesn’t start before I go in the Hall of Fame. That way, I won’t have to kill anybody before I get inducted.”
8. Charles Barkley after seeing a picture of Sam Cassell on the screen: “Phone home.” And later he remarks to Kenny, “Sam Cassell is a good guy, but he’s not going to wind up on the cover of GQ anytime soon.”
7. Asked if he had ever been in the governor’s office in Montgomery, Barkley said no. “They don’t let many black people in the governor’s mansion in Alabama,” he said, “unless they’re cleaning.”
6. “When I was recruited at Auburn [university], they took me to a strip joint. When I saw those titties on Buffy, I knew that Auburn met my academic requirements.”
5. On Jerry Krause still being able to keep his job as GM of the Chicago Bulls: “Jerry Krause must have pictures of his boss’s wife having sex with a monkey.”
4a. On national TV on Valentines day: “I’d never buy my girl a watch… she’s already got a clock over the stove.”
4b. “If you go out with a girl and they say she has a great personality, she’s ugly. If they tell you a guy works hard, he can’t play a lick. Same thing.”
3. After an Olympic Dream Team victory over Angola, in which they won 116-48, Charles got into a physical altercation with a member of Angola towards the end of the game, afterwards he says, “Somebody hits me, I’m going to hit him back. Even if it does look like he hasn’t eaten in a couple weeks. I thought he was going to pull a spear on me.”
2. After retiring from basketball: “I’m just what America needs – another unemployed black man.
1. After throwing a guy through a 1st floor window in a bar Charles was in front of the judge.
Judge: “Your sanctions are community service and a fine, do you have any regrets?”
Charles: “Yeah I regret we weren’t on a higher floor”