LBS – When asked about the infamous sideline interview antics of San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, Sir Charles took the opportunity to discuss how he feels women are discriminated against when it comes to jobs in television. “Oh, he’s great. But I will tell you one form of discrimination no one ever talks about regarding sideline reporters,” Barkley said. “If you are an ugly woman, you have no chance of getting a TV job.” But what about the famous Craig Sager? “Hey, I think you have to dress like Sager to get a job now,” Barkley continued. “I will say this: They have hot, great-looking women on TV now. But if you are an ugly woman, you ain’t got no chance of getting a TV job.”
All Hail Sir Charles. Possibly the ONLY person on a legitimate televised network who tells it like it is, for better or for worse. Dick Schaap, Bob Ryan and Howard Cosell could have an orgy to an audio book of The Catcher and the Rye read by Mark Twain and spawn a daughter who would have the greatest intellectual, journalistic and sports-minded presence of all-time, but if she isn’t at least a 5 or better, she’s got no shot of getting on TV. And even a 5 is a stretch, usually they gotta be at minimum an 8 starting out. But rightfully so. Nobody listens to what women have to say anyways, but that especially goes for if they’re trying to talk about sports. Need to be lookers in some capacity. Is that fair? Probably not. But it’s reality, and Sir Charles tells it like it is.
PS – This was already on a previous post about Barkley when he stated “20% of NBA Fans Need To Be Shot” from the Throwback Machine on BS Philly, but Barkley’s Top 10 Quotes of All Time deserve to be posted again, and again, and again…
Top 10 Charles Barkley Quotes of All-Time:
10. “I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I’d work for the Klan.”
9. On his 17-year old daughter not dating yet: “Thank goodness. I just hope she doesn’t start before I go in the Hall of Fame. That way, I won’t have to kill anybody before I get inducted.”
8. Charles Barkley after seeing a picture of Sam Cassell on the screen: “Phone home.” And later he remarks to Kenny, “Sam Cassell is a good guy, but he’s not going to wind up on the cover of GQ anytime soon.”
7. Asked if he had ever been in the governor’s office in Montgomery, Barkley said no. “They don’t let many black people in the governor’s mansion in Alabama,” he said, “unless they’re cleaning.”
6. “When I was recruited at Auburn [university], they took me to a strip joint. When I saw those titties on Buffy, I knew that Auburn met my academic requirements.”
5. On Jerry Krause still being able to keep his job as GM of the Chicago Bulls: “Jerry Krause must have pictures of his boss’s wife having sex with a monkey.”
4a. On national TV on Valentines day: “I’d never buy my girl a watch… she’s already got a clock over the stove.”
4b. “If you go out with a girl and they say she has a great personality, she’s ugly. If they tell you a guy works hard, he can’t play a lick. Same thing.”
3. After an Olympic Dream Team victory over Angola, in which they won 116-48, Charles got into a physical altercation with a member of Angola towards the end of the game, afterwards he says, “Somebody hits me, I’m going to hit him back. Even if it does look like he hasn’t eaten in a couple weeks. I thought he was going to pull a spear on me.”
2. After retiring from basketball: “I’m just what America needs – another unemployed black man.
1. After throwing a guy through a 1st floor window in a bar Charles was in front of the judge.
Judge: “Your sanctions are community service and a fine, do you have any regrets?”
Charles: “Yeah I regret we weren’t on a higher floor”