OddsShark Presents Glenny & The Bets
Luckily were still
kind of blessed with the MLB, and NHL & NBA Playoffs while we deal with the red-headed stepchild of the Triple Crown this weekend. Yup the Preakness does pretty pail in comparison to the Derby and Belmont, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun. Matt and I were 0/1 on the Kentucky Derby so it’s time to redeem ourselves with this 2nd go at the Merry-Go-Round. The race itself is still a relatively open field with the Derby Winner, Always Dreaming, staying at his morning line odds of 4/5. Post time is 6:45…See you there.
I’m fairly confident Matt is going to pick the winner below
0-2 last week and the picks record hits 40-35. Getting right to the juice breaking point at 53.3%. No luck in the Derby, but back to the pony well this weekend for me. Pick your spots. You can see the odds for stakes here I’ll be a little more brief than last week here as I did a deeper breakdown of most of the contenders for the Derby.
- Always Dreaming 4/5
- The Kentucky Derby was a very inspirational performance apparently. Starting as a 4/5 favorite in a 9 horse field is gross. I wrote 2 weeks ago that I was uninspired and I remain uninspired at this price. Sure maybe you want to root for the Triple but I don’t.
- Classic Empire 3/1
- With the 3rd favorite chilling at a10/1 the house seems to be expecting a two horse race. I agree, I expect to see these two come out fast and hard, creating distance early. The real question is which outsider has the ability to close and play spoiler.
- Gunnevera 16/1
- My horse in the Derby, I still like the same things about Gunnevera that I liked in the Derby. I’m not going to let the bad trip on the slop deter me too much.
- Cloud Computing 14/1
- All about data down the second floor here, so this name just makes me think the connections are smart and know what they are doing. Trainer Chad Brown is the best of the best, and it’s a nice price on one of his ponies.
What I’m thinking: GUNNEVERA – CLASSIC EMPIRE – CLOUD COMPUTING – ALWAYS DREAMING
I’ll probably be boxing Exactas for the most part. Let’s darty
Time for my pony/overs action
- Classic Empire 3/1
- I’m all over this pony. I picked him for the Derby and I’m sticking with him for the Preakness. The Preakness definitely plays more to Classic Empire’s advantage with the field being half the size of the Derby with only 10 ponies running at Pimlico. There’s a lot of talk about this being a 2-horse race with Always Dreaming and I have Classic Empire winning the battle as he won’t get trapped like he did in the 20-horse race at Churchill Downs.
- Cleveland/Boston Over 220
- Cleveland is 7-3 on the Overs in their last 10 and Boston is 6-4 on theirs. Sign me up, please. During game 1 the other night I thought that over was dead as a doornail. Yet, it rose up and had a huuuuuge second half in a blowout. OddsShark’s got the score predictor giving us a total of 220.6…good enough for me.
- Angels/Mets Over 7.5
- Mets overs have been good to us all this year. 25-8-6 with 5 of their last 7 going over as well. Dial me up for a little Friday night action featuring Ricky Nolasco (I know, it’s wild he’s still in the league and not a Marlin) and Jacob DeGrom. Trout’s coming to Citi Field for the first time since the 2013 ASG. This is a lock.
That’s all for us, folks. As always feel free to find Matt and I on Twitter for questions, comments, or concerns @mbrowner55 and @glenny_balls. Win some cash this weekend because I probably won’t.