Finance

Typical El Presidente Random Thoughts type stuff

Postby AY » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:02 pm

I have indeed waited tables, as does my oldest son now. Taxes/tip outs/etc are based on your sales, not your tips.
"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
-Former Bama LB Cory Reamer on Coach Cochran's training program
AY
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby Boston » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:03 pm

rearadmiral wrote:Boston, grab me a chicken parm sub at Il Panino Express and I'll get the next one.

:D :D :D
Boston
Title Town

Postby rearadmiral » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I guess it depends on where you work/where you live.

Unless they all do that stupid shit now (it's been awhile since I've worked for tips).

EDIT: to AY
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Maury Ballstein » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:05 pm

chicken parm sub from Il Panino Express = awesomeness
Maury Ballstein
Professional Bike Rider

Postby AY » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:07 pm

rearadmiral wrote:I guess it depends on where you work/where you live.

Unless they all do that stupid shit now (it's been awhile since I've worked for tips).

EDIT: to AY

I'd imagine it is the same everything. I'm talking federal taxes. State is the same way, here at least.
"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
-Former Bama LB Cory Reamer on Coach Cochran's training program
AY

Postby mcm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 pm

I'd think that someone leaving a tip on a card would be more inclined to give a bigger tip.
lugnutz wrote:Our talk was brief but she seems cool.
mcm
Title Town

Postby rearadmiral » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:13 pm

mcm wrote:I'd think that someone leaving a tip on a card would be more inclined to give a bigger tip.

Not at all. Especially when most people are using a card.

Plenty of "$1.00"s and "$1.50"s on your card slips at end of night.

People are just as cheap.

Tips based on sales fucks the server because it takes away their option to report their own income---not have it imposed on them.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Giggles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:15 pm

And you can't pretend that you're only making $8000/year when you're actually cleaning up, like my friends who were bartenders used to.
Giggles

Postby rearadmiral » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm

That too.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Lou Roe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Bartenders and servers get screwed all the time when a group or table splits the check with some people using a card and some paying cash. This is due to the incompetence of most groups when trying to figure out how much to tip. For example the bill is $100, a group pays $80 in cash and the one person who never carries cash puts the remaining balance on their card. That person then tips on the card on $20 rather than the entire $100 bill.
Lou Roe
Professional Bike Rider

Postby Sim » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:28 pm

I've probably been in that situation 1000 times and never once did the person using the "card" fuck that up. You have to be an absolute moron. Moreover, everyone should make sure it gets handled properly.

On the flip side, I've been fucked a couple times on servers who add the tip into the bill, don't disclose it, and we realize after the fact that we double tipped (or tipped even more b/c we tipped on tip.) It's 100% the table's fault, but it's a shit move by the server not disclosing it when they drop the bill off. Not like they've ever tried to give me my money back.
Sim
PostDemPixls

Postby Boston » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:30 pm

Lou Roe wrote:Bartenders and servers get screwed all the time when a group or table splits the check with some people using a card and some paying cash. This is due to the incompetence of most groups when trying to figure out how much to tip. For example the bill is $100, a group pays $80 in cash and the one person who never carries cash puts the remaining balance on their card. That person then tips on the card on $20 rather than the entire $100 bill.

I don't think I've ever seen someone do that
Boston
Title Town

Postby tballa55 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Sim wrote:I've probably been in that situation 1000 times and never once did the person using the "card" fuck that up. You have to be an absolute moron. Moreover, everyone should make sure it gets handled properly.

On the flip side, I've been fucked a couple times on servers who add the tip into the bill, don't disclose it, and we realize after the fact that we double tipped (or tipped even more b/c we tipped on tip.) It's 100% the table's fault, but it's a shit move by the server not disclosing it when they drop the bill off. Not like they've ever tried to give me my money back.

Gratuity = Tip

They didn't teach you that in law school? :roll:
i'll hit you up mana-nahhhhhhhhhhhh
tballa55
Title Town

Postby Sim » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:43 pm

what?

gratuity = tip = no shit.

call it whatever you want.

go back to sleep.
Sim
PostDemPixls

Postby tballa55 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:46 pm

How can they just add mysterious money(tip) on the bill without listing it as something?
i'll hit you up mana-nahhhhhhhhhhhh
tballa55
Title Town

PreviousNext

Return to Misc