Re: This day in history

Postby lugnutz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:57 pm

43 years ago......I wasn't alive
2011 Canning Bowl Beer Pong Champion!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm

And II got released 9 months later. Pretty good fucking year for the inventors of head-banging.

LZ is in my top 3.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby AY » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:50 pm

Back when a band would record a record in a week and get a new release out to its fans in a timely manner.

Tonight I'm listening to the antithesis of that.........Guns N Roses. The Spaghetti Incident to be specific.
"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
-Former Bama LB Cory Reamer on Coach Cochran's training program
AY
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby Section 40 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:02 pm

The Beatles recorded their first album in 9 hours and 45 minutes and it was outstanding.

The day ended with a cover of "Twist and Shout", which had to be recorded last because John Lennon had a particularly bad cold and Martin feared the throat-shredding vocal would ruin Lennon's voice for the day. This performance, captured first take, and generally regarded as a classic, prompted Martin to say: "I don't know how they do it. We've been recording all day but the longer we go on the better they get
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby AY » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 pm

The Today Show just celebrated its 60th anniversary a few days ago. Here is a rather long clip of their debut episode. I found it fascinating. I especially loved the "airplanes" flying over China.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/the-first-edition-of-nbcs-today_b107095
"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
AY

Postby lugnutz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Tuck rule!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby Section 40 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Outstanding Lugz. I was looking for this clip when you posted. A surreal way to send the old Foxboro Stadium off.... and I especially loved it when they played "In athe Air Tonight" while the review was going on....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQAmuZ8t94
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby lugnutz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:14 pm

My buddy has been to hundreds of events in his life, seen may great things, and its still his #1. I rememeber thinking how awesome the snow in the air looked. The recreation against the Jets the next season paled in comparison, but I got a little taste.haha
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby Section 40 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:24 pm

That game was trumped only by SB XXXVI a few short weeks later as far as football games go.
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:45 pm

lugnutz wrote:My buddy has been to hundreds of events in his life, seen may great things, and its still his #1. I rememeber thinking how awesome the snow in the air looked. The recreation against the Jets the next season paled in comparison, but I got a little taste.haha

I've been to tons of huge shit (look at me, 5 remaining posters). And this will always be in its own category (tough to put #1 over Sox, Bs, Cs titles). Just a surreal atmosphere, never been to a game like this one before or since. Constant snow, but not really that cold. The incredible swing of emotion (from going home to going to AFCCG). Losing the FG in the weather then seeing refs throw up arms.

Can't believe it's been 10 years.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Section 40 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Everyone knew it was going to snow and when the snow finally came the entire parking lot (Lot 11) erupted in cheers.
Snowing pretty constant but not too cold, snowing like a bastard when Vinatieri kicked the game tying field goal and everyone around us knew the Raiders were cooked when Gruden didn't try to move the ball one last time after the ensuing kickoff. Tremendous drama, a great atmosphere and a helluva way to close out the old Foxboro Stadium....
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby Section 40 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 am

1942: Nazi leaders attend Wannsee Conference to coordinate the “final solution” (Jan. 20). Mass killings using Zyklon-B begin at Auschwitz-Birkenau.

If Jan 20th is used as the starting point as the day that they started the mass killing of Jews.
6 million killed in roughly 40 months (April 1945 is when the camps were over run) comes out to 15,000 people a month, sustained, for that time period. 15000 a month divided by 30 days = 5000 people killed every single day for almost 3 and a half years.
Staggering numbers. And those only count those of the Jewish faith, it does not take into account the millions of Russians/Poles/French and others killed... Happy Friday.
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby AY » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Break it down even further.......208 killed an hour, 3-4 killed every minute. Unreal.
AY

Postby Section 40 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm

On this day in 1984, Hulk Hogan becomes the first wrestler to escape the "camel clutch"--the signature move of reigning World Wrestling Federation (WWF) champion Iron Sheik--as he defeats Sheik to win his first WWF title, at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nI2-Y-8wxY
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21 am

S40, you see my old Garden pics in wrestling thread?
rearadmiral
I post a lot

PreviousNext

Return to Misc