new overtime rule

The land of the mortal lock and Poker

new overtime rule

Postby joey_zaza » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:47 pm

This question is sparked by having Pitt -8 yesterday:

Would a defensive touchdown count on the scoreboard in the following scenario? Pitt won the toss, went down the field and kicked a field goal. Then they scored a defensive touchdown on Denver's possession to go up 9 and cover. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't count as a td and the final would still be a 3 point win. Anyone know for sure?
joey_zaza
Serious Stoolie

Re: new overtime rule

Postby lugnutz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 pm

I cant find anything in the rule that says it wouldn't count.....no extra point kicked though.
2011 Canning Bowl Beer Pong Champion!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby AY » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:06 pm

The TD would have to count. The refs can't blow the ball dead on an INT because what if they fumble it back on the return? The play will go until it ends, and if it ends in a score it will count as 6.

If that ever happened it would be the best cover ever.
"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
-Former Bama LB Cory Reamer on Coach Cochran's training program
AY
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby joey_zaza » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:25 pm

chance that it would ever happen are remote but was a scenario I was thinking of while bargaining with the gambling gods...

on tilt, am I really going to take the Over tonight? strictly a contrarion play and most likely the dumbest bet of the year.
joey_zaza
Serious Stoolie

Postby joey_zaza » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:29 pm

actually looks like I'm not the only one. number up to 41.5
joey_zaza
Serious Stoolie

Postby AY » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:07 am

wish i would have checked back in to talk you out of it. Not to be all SGD on you but I hammered the under and had Bama as a pick 'em from a few days ago. I don't post my plays any more because the curse here is real.

I thought 30 would have been pushing it as a total and 41 was just free money.
"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
AY

Postby joey_zaza » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:06 pm

A new twist on yesterday's winners today. I didn't take it. typing the words the dumbest bet of the year was enough for me.
joey_zaza
Serious Stoolie

Postby rearadmiral » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 pm

I checked w/ couple pros on Twitter---only way to cover would be to recover fumble or to INT in end zone. Otherwise, game over.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:24 pm

So the plays whistled dead as soon as he establishes possession of the interception?
2011 Canning Bowl Beer Pong Champion!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby AY » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:01 am

That can't be right. Far be it from me to argue with the pros, but the dead ball rules don't change in overtime, so a play isn't over until the whistle is blown in OT just like in regulation. A whistle isn't going to be blown unless a player is down, the ball goes out of bounds or a player scores.

As I mentioned above, an intercepting team that doesn't immediately get down on the ground could conceivable fumble the ball back and a ref isn't going to blow the whistle until that player is down. If the play ends in the end zone with a player in possession of the ball, points will be scored.

From NFL.com, these are the ONLY rules that pertain to overtime. Nothing is said about scoring plays differently, thus one has to assume a pick 6 counts as such in OT just as in regulation.

Digest of Rules Main
Sudden Death
The sudden death system of determining the winner shall prevail when score is tied at the end of the regulation playing time of all NFL games. The team scoring first during overtime play shall be the winner and the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown) or when a score is awarded by Referee for a palpably unfair act.
At the end of regulation time the Referee will immediately toss coin at center of field in accordance with rules pertaining to the usual pregame toss. The captain of the visiting team will call the toss prior to the coin being flipped.
Following a three-minute intermission after the end of the regulation game, play will be continued in 15-minute periods or until there is a score*. There is a two-minute intermission between subsequent periods. The teams change goals at the start of each period. Each team has three time outs per half and all general timing provisions apply as during a regular game. Disqualified players are not allowed to return.
*Exception: In preseason and regular season games there shall be a maximum of 15 minutes of sudden death with two time outs instead of three. General provisions that apply for the fourth quarter will prevail. Try not attempted if touchdown scored. If there is no score in the 15 minutes, the game shall end in a tie.
AY

Postby mcm » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:46 am

wouldn't the player (if he had a brain) just go down as soon as he caught the ball?
lugnutz wrote:Our talk was brief but she seems cool.
mcm
Title Town

Postby AY » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:13 pm

mcm wrote:wouldn't the player (if he had a brain) just go down as soon as he caught the ball?

One would think, but imagine a pick 6 scenario after a kickoff or punt with nothing but end zone in front of the defender.
AY

Return to Gambling/Poker