Finance

Typical El Presidente Random Thoughts type stuff

Re: Finance

Postby Don Jeans » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Ronnie B wrote:
Don Jeans wrote:paging Ronnie B....HLF checking in at $69.37. you lose.

Yeah but you're unemployed for reading your bosses email after work when you should have been sweeping the floors and emptying the waste baskets. I win! You lose because you're a loser. Probably related to 5tooler or something. Sick life.

Wrong. I heard the tip from Jim Kramer watching Mad Money in my mom's basement.

A simple admission that you lost would suffice.
"If I had to live on this earth without sight I'd be the illest blind bastard to ever touch the mic"
Don Jeans
How do you post a pic?

Postby MCA » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Its fun finding out that what you've done for the last 10 years has just been flat out wrong.
Dress to Impress / Tropical Attire
MCA
Alt-Tab Master

Postby B Luc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:29 pm

Investing or a job?
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby mcm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:57 am

My daughter got like 2 grand all together for her baptism. What should I do with it?

Anything to do with gambling, strippers and coke = not an option
lugnutz wrote:Our talk was brief but she seems cool.
mcm
Title Town

Postby B Luc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 am

Annuity or midget callgirl. Kind of a flip of a coin.
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby mcm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 pm

anyone know anything about 529 plans? (college funds)
mcm
Title Town

Postby MCA » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:39 am

Every advice I ever received from a professional is that they're fairly pointless.

The goal of a lot of financial professionals with regards to college is to get as much paid for as you can. 529 goes right to the school. Plus, no real guarantee that any one of my kids will go to college, or go without some sort of a scholarship. I mean, i think they'll go, but I can't guarantee it to the point that I want to lock 10k a year up in something that will be penalized if you don't use it for schooling.

Plus, I'm still paying off loans at 33. Its not killing me....won't kill my kids either.
MCA
Alt-Tab Master

Postby JohnCreese » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:40 am

An alternative would be to set up a Roth IRA- contribution limits are lower but college-related expenses are exempt from any type of early withdrawal penalty. At least that was the case 4 years ago.
JohnCreese
Professional Bike Rider

Postby mcm » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:03 am

MCA wrote:Every advice I ever received from a professional is that they're fairly pointless.

The goal of a lot of financial professionals with regards to college is to get as much paid for as you can. 529 goes right to the school. Plus, no real guarantee that any one of my kids will go to college, or go without some sort of a scholarship. I mean, i think they'll go, but I can't guarantee it to the point that I want to lock 10k a year up in something that will be penalized if you don't use it for schooling.

Plus, I'm still paying off loans at 33. Its not killing me....won't kill my kids either.

my wife has 4 brothers and sisters and they were gonna start a 529 plan for us for our daughter's christening gift. I'm guessing they'll start it with about $500 combined. They wanted us to pick out a plan. I guess there are a few different options. After that, I don't know how much we would contribute annually. Not close to ten grand though. You think it doesn't make any sense for us to do this? It wasn't my idea, they came up with it. Obv I'd rather they write us a check and we put it in the baby's savings acct.
mcm
Title Town

Postby AY » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Gonna be a fun day on Wall Street tomorrow.
"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
-Former Bama LB Cory Reamer on Coach Cochran's training program
AY
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby MCA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:32 am

mcm my understanding of their origination wasn't so much of a "wow we really need to figure out how to help people pay for college" but just like Health Savings Accounts (for the most part) it was "wow these rich dudes are maxed out of 401k and really want another tax preferred plan."

The way it was explained to me was basically "Do you really think you're going to be able to cover the whole $500,000 nut of what a private college is going to cost minimum in 13 years? If not, why bother....you're better off shuffling things around when they're 11 so you can block as much as possible from the college and get financial aid."
MCA
Alt-Tab Master

Postby midd » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 am

CNBC et al. running around like chickens with their heads cut off regarding the markets. looks to me that the "recovery" was more a market phenomenon and never took place for the general populace. this isn't a double dip, instead a maintenance of the status quo. it's been shitty for a few years, and will be shitty for a while going forward.

consumers have augmented their attitudes, but I think the period of fear for them is over.
midd
PostDemPixls

Postby JohnCreese » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 am

JohnCreese
Professional Bike Rider

Postby vtexposfan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:31 pm

My stocks had a profit of four grand two weeks ago. Now all gone.
"and yes, an autistic kid is right." - MCA

"I didn't threaten your sister. It would be the time of her life. fucking unicorns would come out of the sky and start singing and shit." - B Luc to Basket
vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby BS1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am

buy buy buy!!
It is what it is......
BS1
Not As Awesome as I think!

PreviousNext

Return to Misc