Netflix/PPV/On-Demand/VHS/Beta/Laserdisc/DVD

TV/Movies/Music/Celebs

Re: Netflix/PPV/On-Demand/VHS/Beta/Laserdisc/DVD

Postby DC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:00 am

RA just got eddie coyle as a gift and I can't believe how much the town took from it.. I always thought they took from Heat but Coyle was great lil film.. Moe Greene was really in winter hill gang in real life before becoming an actor..
DC
Stoolie 4 Life

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:53 am

DC wrote:RA just got eddie coyle as a gift and I can't believe how much the town took from it.. I always thought they took from Heat but Coyle was great lil film.. Moe Greene was really in winter hill gang in real life before becoming an actor..

What's great is that the only DVD is the Criterion one. Yeah, there were a few homages in the "The Town" (Affleck acknowledged using the same or similar safe in the opening Harvard Square scene).

I bet a lot of "modern" audiences couldn't last because of the '70s style of making movies. Short attention span and ADD. With a flick like Coyle, you're not sitting there waiting for the next explosion or effect. I saw some joker's comment on one of the Gawker sites that "Deliverance" was 'boring' and not what they were expecting. It's one of the greatest psychological thrillers, particularly for males, in the last 40+ years. And it has that theme you see all the time on TV and in movies: what would you do in the same situation? how would you react? (think: The Walking Dead---just got S1 via Amazon today).
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby B Luc » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:48 am

The friends of Eddie Coyle? My buddy told me it was out in verrrryyy limited distribution on DVD.
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Still plenty available at Amazon.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby DC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:55 pm

rearadmiral wrote:Still plenty available at Amazon.

dead on with criterion collection comment .. those are always great.. I have Gommorah and Che from Criterion blue ray and both are top of the line..
DC
Stoolie 4 Life

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Just got my Cable Guy Blu-Ray and S1 of The Walking Dead.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby 5TOOLER » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:02 pm

f you netflix.

double your prices some more, jackass. have you learned nothing from blockbuster?
Us Kids Know.
5TOOLER
Fraud Central

Postby Spencer Pratt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Netflix can fuck off

Red Box keeps getting better

Looks like its time to cancel Netflix, havent watched anything decent on there in months.
Spencer Pratt
PostDemPixls

Postby rearadmiral » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:59 pm

I just bumped up to 3 DVDs at a time because S3 of Breaking Bad and S2 of Nurse Jackie (for the SO) just came out and I want to rip through BB before S4 starts.

I don't depend on netflix for new releases and learned long ago to just ignore release dates because the studios have rigged the game now so some get them before others. I'll either just wait or get it on Amazon VOD. But I got a shitload of movies in my queue that I just never got around to seeing in the last 5 years (lot of foreign and docs).

Having the Roku makes it easy to get my money's worth (being able to see you queue on your TV is pretty good) with Netflix and I can stream my Amazon movies through it.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Wow, this is some shit right here that's gonna cost them a lot of customers:

Dear [customer],

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $19.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 3 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $15.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $23.98 a month ($7.99 + $15.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team

At first glance, I was all done. But then took a closer look at my account. Prior to getting 'Breaking Bad' Season 3 the other day, I've watched one DVD in 2011. And it sat there for almost 6 months before I popped it in ("Ghost Writer" for those keeping score). Conversely, I've watched 17 movies on Instant in 2011.

I have no shortage of shit in my instant queue and I stopped counting on Netflix for new releases long ago so $8/month is actually a bargain for me. I can get my new release fix elsewhere.

That said, the move sucks and makes no sense.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:11 pm

"The Lincoln Lawyer". Decent, not great, legal thriller with McConaughey. He's not bad when it's not a romantic comedy. I was entertained. Amazon Instant Video

"Kick Ass". The satire about kid super heroes. Had a few laughs. Nic Cage was actually funny in it. Netflix Streaming
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Spencer Pratt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:24 pm

I watched at movie on Ondemand the other night that was one of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjEZsl1b-_g

Twelve
Spencer Pratt
PostDemPixls

Postby B Luc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Yeah, that looks about as good as Cruel Intentions 4
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Watched a pretty good IRA flick today, "The Outsider", on Netflix Instant. Like 30 years old. Has Capt. McCluskey in it, though briefly. Blink and you'll miss Gabriel Byrne.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby BS1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:48 am

watched Hall Pass last night....had its funny moments. DID not need to see that one scene though :shock:
It is what it is......
BS1
Not As Awesome as I think!

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment