Car stuff

Typical El Presidente Random Thoughts type stuff

Re: Car stuff

Postby PhillyandBCEagles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 am

AY wrote:
lugnutz wrote:
PhillyandBCEagles wrote:Anybody know anything about Corvettes?? Specifically if an early-00s model with around 50-60k miles would necessarily be a money pit??

I know to look at the Carfax and have it looked at by a mechanic...but am I looking at dropping a ton of money every year to keep it running (would like to have it for around 5 years) even if these things check out??

A corvette is a money pit from the few I have known that own them. I think you knew that already going in.

Corvette is by far the best thing Chevy builds, but as Lugs said they can be a money pit. Repairs are going to cost more, and as with any car they will need to be serviced. Plan on dropping a shit ton of money just on tires, and often. Super soft compounds wear out in a year or two, depending on how many miles driven and how you drive it. Most of the new ones use run flats since there is no spare, which drives the cost up even more. But they are sweet though, especially if you get the Z06.

Personally, I'd take a long look at a Shelby GT 500 before I settled on a Vette.

I should clarify, I'm down to either a 'Vette or a CPO BMW 3-series at this point and part of the equation is that I live in Fayetteville, NC....not exactly a hotbed of quality import mechanics. Think there's like 2 in the whole town, other than dealerships (Raleigh is an hour away, but that isn't always an option). Had some work done on my old Jetta last year and not only did it cost significantly more than it would have in Philly or Boston (for an area whose overall cost of living is far lower) but my car sat in the shop for over 2 weeks while they waited on a part. The warranty I'd get with the BMW would help with the cost, at least for a while, but not with the availability of parts. So I guess I'm saying I realize the cost of ownership is going to be high, but given where I live is it going to be any higher than a German car...and am I an idiot for even considering buying an 8-12-year-old car?

As far as driving style, I like to go fast but probably not going to be taking it out to a track or anything...maybe once or twice over the course of the time I own it but definitely not on a regular basis. Probably 12-14k miles/year, tops.
SS wrote:any event that makes PhillyBC look like a genius is nothing short of catastrophic and embarrassing.

CFB YTD 10-7-1
PhillyandBCEagles
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby PhillyandBCEagles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:18 am

jtk4 wrote:Vette is the best thing but their pickup are not too shabby.

The old vettes needed to be driven hard or they would tend to break down. City/traffic driving would be killers. Not sure on the newer ones but most high horse power american cars have more issues when being old lady driven.

This is something to keep in mind...figured it would be the other way around. Thanks.
SS wrote:any event that makes PhillyBC look like a genius is nothing short of catastrophic and embarrassing.

CFB YTD 10-7-1
PhillyandBCEagles

Postby TeeDub » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm

jtk4 wrote:The old vettes needed to be driven hard or they would tend to break down. City/traffic driving would be killers. Not sure on the newer ones but most high horse power american cars have more issues when being old lady driven.

what?
TeeDub
Alt-Tab Master

Postby jtk4 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:10 am

In my experience because the older vettes were geared to travel a 100 mph and would not perform as well in lower mph situations. If a car was consistently city driven and not taken out and really driven it would create performance issues.

I assume that the newer cars are fine and I am talking like early 90's.
jtk4
Alt-Tab Master

Postby Section 40 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am

PhillyBC, Are there no M1A1 mechanics around who could help you out? If they can fix one of those bad boys a Vette should be a piece of cake.
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby B Luc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:07 am

jtk4 wrote:In my experience because the older vettes were geared to travel a 100 mph and would not perform as well in lower mph situations. If a car was consistently city driven and not taken out and really driven it would create performance issues.

I assume that the newer cars are fine and I am talking like early 90's.

I get a little sad when I see people driving a high performance car (i.e. Vette, Viper, Lambo, Ferrari) in the city of Boston. That shit can't be good for the engine, and you can't really open one up around here like it's meant to be done. I know their status symbols but it's just a shame.
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby BS1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 pm

who buys a vette for everyday use these days?

If I bought one it would get used once or twice a month on sunny days.....
It is what it is......
BS1

Postby lugnutz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:36 pm

BS1 wrote: it would get used once or twice a month on sunny days.....

TOO EASY!!!
2011 Canning Bowl Beer Pong Champion!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby BS1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:37 pm

care to elaborate?

im a little off today
It is what it is......
BS1

Postby lugnutz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:42 pm

BS1 wrote:I'm married and have a new kid. I'm lucky if I get to use it once or twice a month on sunny days.....
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby BS1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:46 pm

ahhhhhhhhh......thats just a given though
It is what it is......
BS1

Postby B Luc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:29 pm

You can blame the technology in them......the regular engine, transmission , axle stuff is by far the best its ever been. The tech here spend all day on computers, plugging new boards into cars all day.
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby PhillyandBCEagles » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 am

BS1 wrote:who buys a vette for everyday use these days?

27-year-old single guys with no kids who live in the south and have had virtually zero living expenses for the past year...

AY, got your Facebook message, thanks--the 'book is blocked on this computer but will get back to you tonight

CFB YTD 10-7-1
PhillyandBCEagles

Postby BS1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:09 am

PhillyandBCEagles wrote:
BS1 wrote:who buys a vette for everyday use these days?

27-year-old single guys with no kids who live in the south and have had virtually zero living expenses for the past year...

then buy a new one skippy....oh and that vette still wont get you laid
It is what it is......
BS1

PreviousNext

Return to Misc