NHL 10-11 Season

For all non-Boston, non-gambling sports chatter

Re: NHL 10-11 Season

Postby rearadmiral » Tue May 24, 2011 11:37 pm

It's been awhile but we got OT coming in B.C. thanks to a missed call.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby DC » Tue May 24, 2011 11:41 pm

been watching hoops RA which team got screwed?
DC
Stoolie 4 Life

Postby K-G » Tue May 24, 2011 11:43 pm

SJ

Called icing with 20 seconds left when replay showed it going off Canuck on way down. Vancouver scored off faceoff.
lugnutz wrote:See as I have explained before I never had to take English in high school or college....others did it for me. So I my writing skills are lacking.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby rearadmiral » Tue May 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Good for Darren Pang and Versus for not letting that go unnoticed. Opposite of NBA.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby K-G » Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

Wowwwww. What a way for your season to end.
lugnutz wrote:See as I have explained before I never had to take English in high school or college....others did it for me. So I my writing skills are lacking.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby rearadmiral » Wed May 25, 2011 12:56 am

Another crazy-ass ending. Fluke bounce. But San Jose got fucked with 20 seconds left. That's gotta sting.

Tough to blame Niemi when Bieksa was only one who saw it. But you can't assume anything.

But I love how quick the arena started the celebration, as if that would sway an obvious call (like hitting the netting, like we all thought). "Hurry, hurry!"
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby AY » Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 am

That is a tough, tough call for the refs. It is hard to say San Jose got screwed as it wasn't like it was an obvious call. That's an awful hard call to make in real time.

If you look at ESPN's replay, it looks like the puck doesn't touch anyone. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=310524022
"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
-Former Bama LB Cory Reamer on Coach Cochran's training program
AY
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby KW » Wed May 25, 2011 2:17 pm

If the Bruins win, it will be interesting to see which team gets more love from the HNIC crew.
I'm havin a good time, Jacques Martin's tryin to ruin it.
KW
Title Town

Postby rearadmiral » Wed May 25, 2011 3:02 pm

You're kidding, right?
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 pm

AY wrote:That is a tough, tough call for the refs. It is hard to say San Jose got screwed as it wasn't like it was an obvious call. That's an awful hard call to make in real time.

If you look at ESPN's replay, it looks like the puck doesn't touch anyone. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=310524022

That's why you don't go to ESPN for NHL stuff.

Versus replay showed it clear as day. You are right, it's a tough call. Doesn't make it any easier for losing team to take though.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Wed May 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Kerry (Fraser, longtime ref, off-ice official),

Question for you - as a minor hockey official I was taught that icing should be called if a defending player is unable to play the puck as it is shot down the ice. Let's look at the non-icing call in the Vancouver and San Jose game near the end of the game. When the puck is shot out by Dan Boyle (slap shot) it is almost at Daniel Sedin's head and yes, it looks like it hits a shoulder as he ducks. At no time - at least in my opinion - could he play the puck so if this was a minor hockey game, I would also call icing! Is the NHL any different or should it have been called icing just for the fact that it did hit his shoulder?

Marc Forget, Kingston, ON

Marc: I wish there some way to put a positive spin on this but there just isn't. Icing should have been immediately waived off and nullified when Dan Boyle's end zone clearing slap shot deflected off Daniel Sedin's shoulder. The shot was hard and fast for sure and contact was obviously not easy to detect. Given Sedin's defensive posture as the shot approached him high off the glass and his reaction once it struck and passed by, it is unfortunate that one of the four officials was unable to detect it.

With the Vancouver net empty, had the icing been waived off the odds would be very good that the Sharks would have come away with a victory - maybe even iced it with an open net goal at that point. Once the whistle blew and the Sharks protested, if one member of the officiating crew had confirmed the contact through a meeting of minds in a huddle, the subsequent faceoff would have been conducted at center ice.

A centre ice face off would likely result in Luongo returning to his goal; probably to the half way point in his end zone until puck possession was determined. At the very least the Canucks would have had to gain the attacking zone.

Odds here would again favor a San Jose victory and force Game 6 back in the Shark Tank. On this night, none of it would happen. In all probability it had an effect on the game and the series. It was unfortunately one that was missed. I am certain that each member of the officiating crew last night wishes he had another look, a better angle, another opportunity. None were to be had.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby KW » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 pm

rearadmiral wrote:You're kidding, right?

Serious. You probably didn't see this but during the Habs series, HNIC played the Dropkick Murphys in the pre-game show, Cherry wore Bruins colors and Milbury/Stock provided in-studio analysis.

Of course they love the Canucks, but some nights you'd think that the show was called Hockey Night in Charlestown....which is why I think it's fair to wonder which team they will be pulling for.
I'm havin a good time, Jacques Martin's tryin to ruin it.
KW
Title Town

Postby rearadmiral » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Regardless of who comes out of the East, the whole of Canada, particularly the hockey media, will be pulling for Vancouver (except for people who hate them). They see it as the Cup "coming home".

If Bs move on, there'll be a few Bs supporters. But they're already sucking VAN dick.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby joey_zaza » Thu May 26, 2011 4:32 pm

schedule is out: not all the games are on NBC?

Wednesday, June 1 at Vancouver, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
Saturday, June 4 at Vancouver, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
Monday, June 6 at Boston or Tampa Bay, 8 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Wednesday, June 8 at Boston or Tampa Bay, 8 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Friday, June 10 at Vancouver, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
*Monday, June 13 at Boston or Tampa Bay, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
*Wednesday, June 15 at Vancouver, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

- * denotes if necessary
- All Times Eastern
joey_zaza
Serious Stoolie