Welcome to Southie

Typical El Presidente Random Thoughts type stuff

Re: Welcome to Southie

Postby vtexposfan » Wed May 11, 2011 2:44 pm

B Luc wrote:
vtexposfan wrote:I frequent a bar on Broadway for karaoke. Perhaps now would be a good time for me to apply for a license to carry.

Most frightening thing you've ever posted.

If 9 on 2 is now what passes for acceptable warfare, then I think carrying a pistol is fair, to say the very least.
"and yes, an autistic kid is right." - MCA

"I didn't threaten your sister. It would be the time of her life. fucking unicorns would come out of the sky and start singing and shit." - B Luc to Basket
vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby vtexposfan » Wed May 11, 2011 2:46 pm

rearadmiral wrote:Not even close to the same thing.

Pretty much the whole city was against forced busing. And history proved them correct.

You read the Globe on Sunday? That little girl can't go to the school across the street? That's the height of crockery. That's a top priority for me when I run for City Council this year. Heading over to City Hall today to get the paperwork. Time to gather signatures to get on the ballot...

"I didn't threaten your sister. It would be the time of her life. fucking unicorns would come out of the sky and start singing and shit." - B Luc to Basket
vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby B Luc » Wed May 11, 2011 3:10 pm

vtexposfan wrote:
B Luc wrote:
vtexposfan wrote:I frequent a bar on Broadway for karaoke. Perhaps now would be a good time for me to apply for a license to carry.

Most frightening thing you've ever posted.

If 9 on 2 is now what passes for acceptable warfare, then I think carrying a pistol is fair, to say the very least.

1. I don't think any logical thinking person thinks 9 kids jumping 2 dudes because they're not from southie is considered acceptable warfare.
2. I think every law abiding citizen should have the right to carry in this state. Unfortunately that's not the case. I'm going to get my permit in June or July, and the chances I'll get a Class A instead of a Class B are slim. It's bullshit but those are the politics.
3. The frightening point was you carrying a gun considering how worked up you get about things and how entitled you seem to feel all the time.
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby vtexposfan » Wed May 11, 2011 3:36 pm

I only want one because other people have them. I get angry about things, but not stupid angry. I would never misuse a firearm.

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby jtk4 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:01 pm

9-2 are not good odds even with a firearm.
jtk4
Alt-Tab Master

Postby midd » Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 am

rearadmiral wrote:Not even close to the same thing.

Pretty much the whole city was against forced busing. And history proved them correct.

disagree.

southie had/has layers of socioeconomic and geographic issues that fostered busing riots and plagued the neighborhood since.

fire up some ron formisano and emmett buell for the scoop.
midd
PostDemPixls

Postby rearadmiral » Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 am

We'll agree to disagree.

A life lived in the city >>>>>>>>>>>>> scholarly scoop
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby B Luc » Thu May 12, 2011 9:20 am

jtk4 wrote:9-2 are not good odds even with a firearm.

Unless it's got a banana clip. And even then...
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby B Luc » Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 am

vtexposfan wrote:I only want one because other people have them. I get angry about things, but not stupid angry. I would never misuse a firearm.

It's not a stupidity thing, IMO.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby MCA » Thu May 12, 2011 10:18 am

midd wrote:fire up some ron formisano and emmett buell for the scoop.

I get it now...you're basically the long haired Harvard kid from Good Will Hunting.
Dress to Impress / Tropical Attire
MCA
Alt-Tab Master

Postby midd » Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 am

boo-yah, thanks for the new avatar.
midd
PostDemPixls

Postby midd » Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 am

rearadmiral wrote:We'll agree to disagree.

A life lived in the city >>>>>>>>>>>>> scholarly scoop

Southie is unique within city limits in its geographic and social introverted-ness. created a collective psychology of circling the wagons more than any other neighborhood.

also, there were fewer parochial schools in southie than about any neighborhood in boston. as a result, ROAR and SBIC felt the need to defend the homeland with more vigor than anywhere else.

Hyde Park High had a few flare ups in the same time period, but southie was the standard bearer.
midd
PostDemPixls

Postby rearadmiral » Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 pm

That first paragraph describes half of the city.

And Southie was no different than C'town, they defended their stance so vociferously because the government was literally taking their fucking schools away from them. It was an insane plan, they knew it, so they fought it tooth and nail. And it was led by mothers. That should tell you all you need to know.

The eggheads can break it down all they want, but it wasn't a high-concept thing.

Do you refer to it as "school desegregation" too?

If so, mix in a pre-70s yearbook.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby midd » Thu May 12, 2011 5:23 pm

if it were true in half of the city, I wouldn't have used the word unique. call me an egghead, I spent a ton of time this fall researching this exact story.

garrity was an asshole, but the school committee sat on their hands for about 10 years before anything happened. busing was an unfunded mandate that had to be put into place in a matter of 12-15 weeks. it turned into a game of chicken between him and the school committee. I don't think anyone on either side of the argument desired the manner the busing took place.

short story, mick dominance in a geographically isolated neighborhood allowed the irish oppression complex to take hold. and there's nothing we like more than complaining about our lot in life.

as for your last point, I'm confused. are you implying southie high wasn't lily-white pre-70's? in the decade before busing three black students attended southie high and two were siblings.
midd
PostDemPixls

Postby Lou Roe » Fri May 13, 2011 2:18 am

There is going to be a fundraiser benefit at Whiskey Priest Mon 23rd from 6-10.
Lou Roe
Professional Bike Rider

PreviousNext

Return to Misc