Re: Seaport and Fort Point

Postby MCA » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Full review ignored tomorrow.
Dress to Impress / Tropical Attire
MCA
Alt-Tab Master

Postby vtexposfan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 pm

I know more than you about steakhouses, child rearing, finance, and SEC football.
"and yes, an autistic kid is right." - MCA

"I didn't threaten your sister. It would be the time of her life. fucking unicorns would come out of the sky and start singing and shit." - B Luc to Basket
vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby vtexposfan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:37 pm

For years, Boston has grossly underutilized its waterfront. Having grown up in a city with a vibrant waterfront with a good mix of attractions and industrial facilities, I expect better from Boston, but the Seaport District is improving with a variety of restaurants.

Del Frisco Steakhouse, a home run away from the Bank of America Pavilion on Northern Avenue, overlooks the harbor, and features outdoor deck seating. I sat inside, but took a walk around the patio, empty on this windy, misty day. As the restaurant was still going through its trial run, there was no shortage of accommodating employees, males decked out in blue and black, females in black with short skirts and fishnet stockings.

I sat at the bar, as I dined by myself. A variety of liquors were on display in circular glass cases above the bar, a candy store of libations. I ordered iced tea from one of the four bartenders manning the small bar. While I was waiting for my beverage, two other employees asked if I had been taken care of. The employees were very attentive, but surprisingly, I had to ask for a menu after I was asked "you're not having lunch today?" by a bartender, as if I made a reservation and came in to a $40 steakhouse during a free trial period to sip a non-alcoholic beverage.

I ordered a shrimp and lobster sandwich, served on focaccia bread that capably contained its ingredients. The fish was fresh without being overwhelming, and was topped with bacon and small greens, and served with small French fries, with ketchup in a small dipping glass. My meal was preceded by sesame seed bread and butter, bread I had to cut myself, something I've never seen before in a restaurant. A man with a greater appetite might wolf down the $19 sandwich in one sitting, but I boxed the other half, and I look forward to eating it tomorrow.

As I told the bartender: "Everybody has steak and liquor. It's the experience that counts, and today, you and your staff made me feel important." Del Frisco sells an excellent customer service experience. The attention to customers should be filmed and used as a clinic for all who endeavor to work in restaurants.

"I didn't threaten your sister. It would be the time of her life. fucking unicorns would come out of the sky and start singing and shit." - B Luc to Basket
vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby mcm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:45 pm

why did it have to be a non-alcoholic beverage?
lugnutz wrote:Our talk was brief but she seems cool.
mcm
Title Town

Postby vtexposfan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:46 pm

I drink enough as it is...I got shit to do today.

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby mcm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:48 pm

but how would the bartender know that?

i'm guessing most people that sit at the bar order an alcoholic beverage
lugnutz wrote:Our talk was brief but she seems cool.
mcm
Title Town

Postby vtexposfan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:57 pm

It's not a major demerit that I didn't get a menu right away, just a little surprising, that's all. I can see where they thought I might be waiting for the remainder of my party as opposed to sitting and eating by myself.

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby Lou Roe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Not usually a fan of yelp, but the reviews for the Remy's are some of the worst I have ever seen for a new place.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jerry-remys-bos ... =date_desc
Lou Roe
Professional Bike Rider

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Boston Harbor reminds me of Lake Champlain too.

Lou, most people go online to bitch and seldom praise.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby vtexposfan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Wow, they are getting slaughtered. In most cases, you can separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to one-star reviews, but these all appear to be wheat.

I remember reading a letter to SI a while back from a financial planner who consulted AFL players in the 1960's. He mentioned how he would suggest to athletes that they invest in financial instruments, but was instead told by athletes that they wanted to invest in a restaurant or a club with their name on it instead. He went on to indicate his disbelief that these stars thought they could just put their name on something, and it would automatically succeed.

Jerry Remy was a serviceable second baseman, a great broadcaster, and a friendly guy (even if his scions are cretins)...but no matter how much Boston loves him, he is not a restauranteur, and nobody will tolerate bad service, no matter how likable the celebrity endorser.

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby vtexposfan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:53 pm

rearadmiral wrote:Boston Harbor reminds me of Lake Champlain too.

They're similar in that there's much consternation about the reclaiming of areas that were previously industrial zones. In Burlington, an old building previously owned by the electric company has sat vacant for decades. The previous mayor proposed selling it to the YMCA for $1, which was voted down (and rightfully so.)

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 pm

If they're bitching about service at the new place, could just be growing pains of a new place. Shit usually works itself out after a few months.

I got great service, FTR,

EDIT: The second one down is probably a total cunt so his/her view doesn't matter to me.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Lou Roe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 pm

You can't take every review seriously, but that number of 1 stars and what what said in them is pretty alarming. The thing with Remy's is although its new, its the 2nd one and the primary investors own many places in the city, its not their first time going through growing pains.
Lou Roe
Professional Bike Rider

Postby rearadmiral » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:54 pm

A lot of those complaints sound like entitled whinebags who think the staff is there specifically for them and nobody else.

Complaining about background music during Cs game and lack of a "victory song"? GTFOOH.

Waitress doesn't know porter from a stout? Heresy!

"MY friend had to wait in line, mean bouncer wouldn't let her in!" Because she's so much more important than the other 200 people in line.

"Staff sucks". "Clientele sucks"

When did Boston become such a cunty city?

I'm so fucking glad I don't work in the industry anymore. People have gotten worse and worse.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby TeeDub » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:50 pm

rearadmiral wrote:When did Boston become such a cunty city?

right after the Tea Party.
TeeDub
Alt-Tab Master

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant Reviews