Poaching

Only stories pertaining to work

Re: Poaching

Postby rearadmiral » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:51 am

vtex, what can you tell me about Great Scott in Allston?

I'm going to a comedy show there. If I'm taking Comm Ave. outbound, do I get on Brighton Ave. (about 1/4 mile after T. Anthony's) or stay on Comm Ave.?

I haven't ventured to that neck of the woods to start my night in ages,
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby vtexposfan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:58 am

I can tell you a lot, not the least of which is that poster DS Bruce Robertson books their acts. Tim the manager is good shit as well.

If you're already on Comm Ave, you'll want to stay on Comm Ave (bearing left) as you approach Packard's Corner. That's how you get there as the crow flies, but don't overlook the idea of parking at a meter around Star Market and walking over...might actually be one of your better bets for parking if it's a weekend night.
"and yes, an autistic kid is right." - MCA

"I didn't threaten your sister. It would be the time of her life. fucking unicorns would come out of the sky and start singing and shit." - B Luc to Basket
vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby mcm » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 pm

vtexposfan wrote: DS Bruce Robertson books their acts.

I didn't know Bruiser Flint did stand-up. Is Lappas the opening act?
lugnutz wrote:Our talk was brief but she seems cool.
mcm
Title Town

Postby Lou Roe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:29 pm

vtexposfan wrote:
Lou Roe wrote:vt, whats the average time of your trivia game? Most of the time the stump trivia drags on for about 2 hours, i think there would be a market for a shorter game about 1:30 or have a different format.

Games run 1:50 if it's poorly attended and I'm in a hurry to get it done, or they can be 2:30 if it has 40 entries, because there's more paperwork for me. No client bar would ever be interested in a 1:30 game...gotta keep them in there a little longer and make sales. Many films run two hours...and this is an interactive show that you play with your friends. I absolutely expect people to hang out for two hours...and they do.

It depends what the bar is aiming for out of the trivia. It seems like you personally have a following where people go to your bar specifically for trivia, but not every place is like that. Also, not everyone is always drinking a lot or ordering food, just my personal experience from working at a bar that did trivia once a week.
Lou Roe
Professional Bike Rider

Postby vtexposfan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:27 pm

1) I thought your reply was about UMass figures as comedians when I saw you as last post

2) What bar did you work in?

"I didn't threaten your sister. It would be the time of her life. fucking unicorns would come out of the sky and start singing and shit." - B Luc to Basket
vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby Mr. X » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:29 am

vtexposfan wrote:I can tell you a lot, not the least of which is that poster DS Bruce Robertson books their acts.

Has he created any other alter ego's recently?
The Orangemen are just a rock-solid, consistent winner that hasn't suffered a losing season since 1968-69.
Mr. X
Alt-Tab Master

Postby vtexposfan » Wed May 25, 2011 1:12 am

So I finally checked them out tonight over in the North End...a lot of sizzle and not a whole lot of steak. They might take some of the most diehard geeks away from us...but they won't put a significant dent in our market share.

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby rearadmiral » Wed May 25, 2011 1:19 am

Who do you work for again, vtex?
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby vtexposfan » Wed May 25, 2011 2:10 am

Stump

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby B Luc » Wed May 25, 2011 2:12 am

What bar was it at? Living Room?
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby vtexposfan » Wed May 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Goody Glover's. Living Room is one of our bars.

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby tballa55 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:19 pm

vtexposfan wrote:Stump

I thought it was Stump!
i'll hit you up mana-nahhhhhhhhhhhh
tballa55
Title Town

Postby rearadmiral » Wed May 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Do you do the North Star's show?
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby vtexposfan » Thu May 26, 2011 5:32 am

I do not. Is that a place near the Garden? I can't imagine it gets many customers for trivia nights. Downtown places (Coogan's and Kinsale excepted) are typically non-starters.

I recall the Greatest Bar giving us a try a couple of years ago. They even ran an ad campaign on Mix 104.1 built around cheap appetizers and trivia on Monday nights. We went in there on two Monday nights. Nobody played, and the promotion fizzled out completely. Gotta love their owners...they think that making a newspaper and buying time on NESN will make them the most successful bar in town no matter what they actually do/don't do. As a horse trainer once told me: "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit."

North End people, God bless 'em, don't appear to be the most trivia savvy people in town. Frankly, a lot of people east of Mass Ave. don't appear to be. I sat next to a guy at Glover's on Tuesday night who asked his girlfriend "what song is this?" upon hearing a mashed-up clip featuring the vocals of "Super Freak." And I've had the host at McGreevy's tell me that Back Bay residents don't get many questions right either.

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby vtexposfan » Thu May 26, 2011 5:33 am

tballa55 wrote:

I thought it was Stump!

It is, but if I answer Rear's question like that on a message board, it appears as if I'm chiding him for not knowing.

vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

PreviousNext

Return to Cube Life