Mega Millions: Lump Sum or Annual Payout?

Typical El Presidente Random Thoughts type stuff

Postby Sim » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:05 am

Strangely close to the LOST numbers of 4-8-15-16-23-42.
Sim
PostDemPixls

Postby HuskyBlue » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 am

^^^$150. I wonder how many people play those numbers.
Why don't you get some facts and get back to me. My best advice to you is shut up.
HuskyBlue
Alt-Tab Master

Postby lugnutz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:53 am

mcm wrote:where can I get 5% on my money with no risk?

Send me everything you have......I practically guarantee it!
2011 Canning Bowl Beer Pong Champion!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby uconnrecruitingviolator » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:22 am

rearadmiral wrote:Simply, you get more money from your winning ticket over the long haul.

more money from the source yes but you're losing the chance to have that money work for you while you wait for your annuity to mature completely. the government takes more money from those who choose annuity. not to mention the fact that your annuity payment in year 20 will be worth 20-30% less than year 1 because of inflation, minimum.

if you choose the annuity option, the government gets to invest your money and keep the proceeds. if you take the lump sum, you get to invest the money and keep the proceeds.

theres also the tax factor, taxes will be raised at some point, its unavoidable. every time that happens, your annuity payment is worth less than the year before. or you can take the lump sum and invest in tax-free investments and not worry about paying taxes on your income.
self banned from the politics thread since 11/16/2009
uconnrecruitingviolator
Professional Bike Rider

Postby mcm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 am

2 winners - Idaho and Washington

Jackpot was $355m
lugnutz wrote:Our talk was brief but she seems cool.
mcm
Title Town

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 am

uconnrecruitingviolator wrote:
rearadmiral wrote:Simply, you get more money from your winning ticket over the long haul.

more money from the source yes but you're losing the chance to have that money work for you while you wait for your annuity to mature completely. the government takes more money from those who choose annuity. not to mention the fact that your annuity payment in year 20 will be worth 20-30% less than year 1 because of inflation, minimum.

if you choose the annuity option, the government gets to invest your money and keep the proceeds. if you take the lump sum, you get to invest the money and keep the proceeds.

theres also the tax factor, taxes will be raised at some point, its unavoidable. every time that happens, your annuity payment is worth less than the year before. or you can take the lump sum and invest in tax-free investments and not worry about paying taxes on your income.

rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 am

It sounds like there are a lot of people here who don't understand time value of money.
"I bet Joe Buck peed the bed til he was 15." - Matt Stone
Jackie Treehorn
Alt-Tab Master

Postby K-G » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Jackie Treehorn wrote:It sounds like there are a lot of people here who don't understand time value of money.

You are surprised by that??
lugnutz wrote:See as I have explained before I never had to take English in high school or college....others did it for me. So I my writing skills are lacking.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Jackie Treehorn wrote:It sounds like there are a lot of people here who don't understand time value of money.

What side are you on?
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby K-G » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 pm

He's on lump sum - the correct side.
lugnutz wrote:See as I have explained before I never had to take English in high school or college....others did it for me. So I my writing skills are lacking.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm

I don't pretend to be a finance whiz.

I just can't stomach thought of hitting lottery and not collecting what I'm fully entitled to (on a very simple level, not getting into taxes, investments, etc.).

There were a couple stories in local papers and a couple of winners stated that they wish they looked into the lump sum a lot more before opting for it.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:39 pm

I was told once by an accountant before a lottery winner does anything he/she should seek a very expensive tax attorney and accountant. There are many things that you can do before you claim a ticket that will save you money. The choice to go lump or annuity has a lot to do with what you might be worth now. The money you spend on council will come back many times over.
2011 Canning Bowl Beer Pong Champion!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby K-G » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks Lug. Best advice ever.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby rearadmiral » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 pm

lugnutz wrote:I was told once by an accountant before a lottery winner does anything he/she should seek a very expensive tax attorney and accountant. There are many things that you can do before you claim a ticket that will save you money. The choice to go lump or annuity has a lot to do with what you might be worth now. The money you spend on council will come back many times over.

Right, you are.

rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby midd » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:04 pm

K-G wrote:Thanks Lug. Best advice ever.

It really may have been the best ever.

Let me ask my council if he agrees.
midd
PostDemPixls

PreviousNext

Return to Misc