Strega

Suggestions on where to eat!

Strega

Postby DC » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:36 pm

going to new location at fan pier wed and was looking for suggestions... People seem to be really split on this place and north end location... either love or hate... some say food great others rip atmosphere and tacky soprano vibe... Stool?
DC
Stoolie 4 Life

Postby rearadmiral » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Haven't had new one yet.

Thought NE location was good but it didn't stuff me. Don't like how menu said "Veal chopS" but only brought one.

It has good food and Soprano vibe, I guess.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Ronnie B » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Love it. Both places. Go with the guys to the FanPier location . Take a broad to the NEBO location. Either way ask for Nick and tell him RonnieB sent you!
"Get it ticket" - Paul Pierce to KG during a rebound 3-16-2011
Ronnie B
Not As Awesome as I think!

Re: Strega waterfront

Postby DC » Sun May 22, 2011 1:52 pm

So collected for a bet I made with a naive celtic fan from arlington friday night at Strega waterfront...

design and atmosphere is great here.. real modern and open with a nice mix of cougars, working ladies, and just a lot of great t&A

started off with a mojito because well its a miami thing... no 10 cane rum in house only negative .switched off to sapphire and tonics till food came...

ordered a bunch of apps :

calimari = solid but not outstanding i prefer grilled to fried version

some shrinp and garlic app I did not try but others liked ..

eggplant di nico - rolletini with ricotta and spinich.. real good

special app burrata was outstanding with the tomatoe and prosciutto on side.. as good as the burrata at bricco which is best US version I have had

I am def not a wine snop and won't even drink red.. i knew i was ordering fish so we went through 2 bottles of Pinot Grigio

I ordered the halibut came with wild mushrooms and aspargus.. solid but not in class of the blackened halibut from oceanaire.. also got side of pappredelle with wild mushroom and truffles which was fanstastic ..

buddies got a chicken and mushroom risotto and i forget what bible got but he liked it if i recall ..

capped it off with an amaretto cake which was tasty but to be honest I was feeling pretty good at that point ...

went back to bar area tried one of the house drinks il capo which i enjoyed.. varano came in late night and poured champagne or something for the girls who were sitting with us...seems like a good guy but def a character.. left around 2.. had to get one of the doormen to help one of my buddies out..kid was legless bit of a lightweight.

overall food was solid but nothing out of this world.. have no clue what bill came too but place while not del frisco expensive ain't cheap..was nice to have some old school italian though rather then the yuppie deconstructed shit you see pop up more and more.. atmosphere and design would have me giving Strega Waterfront a 8.5 out of 10 ..
DC
Stoolie 4 Life

Re: Strega

Postby rearadmiral » Sun May 22, 2011 2:40 pm

I won't order fried calamari anymore. Has to be grilled or even broiled.

Not a huge fan of risotto but as a meal, isn't it just like stuffed rice?
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby DC » Sun May 22, 2011 3:03 pm

this one came with chicken and mushrooms so was filling...risotto is an alternative to pasta ..you ever want to piss an old school italian off ask if the risotto comes with pasta... watch the underated indie Big Night as well ...

that said kid who ordered risotto as meal was the legless one at end of night so something more filling may have absorbed the alcohol better lol
DC
Stoolie 4 Life

Postby Lou Roe » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am

I heard that they don't make evrything fresh there, don't know how accurate that is but it would be pretty ridiculous if they are charging those prices for canned shit. Also, a guy should never order risotto as an entree.
Lou Roe
Professional Bike Rider

Postby M.S.83 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:26 pm

i always thought risotto was more of an app
M.S.83
Professional Bike Rider

Postby tballa55 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Lou Roe wrote:Also, a guy should never order risotto as an entree.

If I see a seafood risotto entree on a menu I always get it and it's usually loaded with seafood and filling.
i'll hit you up mana-nahhhhhhhhhhhh
tballa55
Title Town

Postby Lou Roe » Tue May 24, 2011 3:25 pm

seafood risotto is solid
Lou Roe
Professional Bike Rider

Postby Maury Ballstein » Tue May 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Strega waterfront has a great atmosphere, would definitely come back for drinks at the bar or maybe order an appetizer or two. That being said it's pretty much a rip-off if you're looking to get nice and full off a well cooked Italian meal. If you're looking for great Italian food at a lower cost then seek elsewhere.
Maury Ballstein
Professional Bike Rider

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 am

Never been to Strega and don't want to, but Varano's other restaurants (Nico and Nick's Famous Deli) are both fucking TERRIBLE. Got a few different things from the deli and all were awful.
"I bet Joe Buck peed the bed til he was 15." - Matt Stone
Jackie Treehorn
Alt-Tab Master

Postby B Luc » Wed May 25, 2011 11:38 am

Agreed on the Deli. Over priced and not good.

And everytime i see that tiny fucking car in the neighborhood I want to bash it with Thor's hammer and take a shit in the engine.
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby Mazz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:12 am

Going here Thursday night with a few guys...hopefully there are a few Stanley Cup champs in the house.

Nice writeup DC...any further input from anyone else? Thanks
I'm 11 posts away from the one thats gonna break it open
Mazz
Serious Stoolie

Postby DB » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:06 pm

DB had the Sea Bass along with all the other stuff DC mentioned. It was solid.

I'd definitely go back. Its got a good vibe to it
80% of the globe is covered by water. The rest is covered by Albert Louis Jean
DB
Alt-Tab Master

Return to Restaurant Reviews