Golf

For all non-Boston, non-gambling sports chatter

Re: Golf

Postby Mk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Mk wrote:R11 is by all accounts a phenomenal driver. Anyone get one? I need to. Been playing the 09 Burner for two years and love that....another 10 yards can't hurt.

Got a call from a local pro who was having a demo day with TM and I went over at lunch.

Hit 5 balls with my '08 Burner (not '09 as I posted earlier) which I've loved from day one. Guy asks me how I hit them, said "pretty good...8.5-9 on 1-10 scale", takes 30 seconds and hands me an R11. Hit like 8 balls with it and he's telling me I was carrying the ball 10 yards further but the ball rolls another 10 because of the low spin the club creates. It did feel pretty good, but can that be right?

He wouldn't let me hit the new Burner lol. I was actually squeezed in between two other customers so I didn't have much time.

The pro told me I could get the exact type that I hit with a custom shaft for cost which is $290. Might as well go for it. I can honestly say I've never had a driver the same year it came out....so I'll have that going for me.
Chris Broussard wannabe
Mk
Title Town

Postby Rusty Bridges » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 am

Mk wrote:
Mk wrote:R11 is by all accounts a phenomenal driver. Anyone get one? I need to. Been playing the 09 Burner for two years and love that....another 10 yards can't hurt.

Got a call from a local pro who was having a demo day with TM and I went over at lunch.

Hit 5 balls with my '08 Burner (not '09 as I posted earlier) which I've loved from day one. Guy asks me how I hit them, said "pretty good...8.5-9 on 1-10 scale", takes 30 seconds and hands me an R11. Hit like 8 balls with it and he's telling me I was carrying the ball 10 yards further but the ball rolls another 10 because of the low spin the club creates. It did feel pretty good, but can that be right?

He wouldn't let me hit the new Burner lol. I was actually squeezed in between two other customers so I didn't have much time.

The pro told me I could get the exact type that I hit with a custom shaft for cost which is $290. Might as well go for it. I can honestly say I've never had a driver the same year it came out....so I'll have that going for me.

Were you on a launch monitor? You should have been able to tell pretty easily tell the spin and carry difference between the two clubs. If not, that rep is probably full of shit.

Do yourself a favor and try out the Ping G15 driver. I was a taylormade guy up until this year when I demoed the G15 and haven't looked back since. Traded in my r9 supertri on the spot. Didn't like the new R11 at all. The white is annoying and I just didn't like the feel of it.
Rusty Bridges
Not Banned Yet

Postby Mk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Yes...was on the monitor.

Thanks for the input. I didnt mind the white head when I first hit it so I'm sure I'd be fine once I used it a fair amount. I'll take a look at the G15. Only difference is I know I can get the R11 at cost....dunno about the Ping.
Chris Broussard wannabe
Mk
Title Town

Postby Rusty Bridges » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Well launch monitors usually don't lie. But next time as for a print out or check it out yourself on the monitor. I have seen my fair share of reps lie to potential customers in order to sell the club.

The G15 retails for $100 less than the R11 since Ping doesn't spend all that money on sponsorships like TM does. And golfsmith has them on sale for $250 right now. I have a feeling you won't be disappointed with the Ping,
Rusty Bridges
Not Banned Yet

Postby BS1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:26 am

Rusty Bridges wrote:Well launch monitors usually don't lie. But next time as for a print out or check it out yourself on the monitor. I have seen my fair share of reps lie to potential customers in order to sell the club.

Absolutely correct on this one....

The last Ping Driver I hit was back in '93 or something like that....the old wood driver that was black....loved that club
It is what it is......
BS1
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby Mk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Yeah I saw the screen so if it was accurate he wasn't bullshitting me.

Someone gave me a G5 a few years ago but it was 6.5 degrees. WTF do you do with that?

9.5 degrees 4 LYFE
Chris Broussard wannabe
Mk
Title Town

Postby TeeDub » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:47 pm

Mk wrote:Someone gave me a G5 a few years ago but it was 6.5 degrees. WTF do you do with that?

kill worms.
TeeDub
Alt-Tab Master

Postby midd » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Mk wrote:Yeah I saw the screen so if it was accurate he wasn't bullshitting me.

Someone gave me a G5 a few years ago but it was 6.5 degrees. WTF do you do with that?

9.5 degrees 4 LYFE

Put in a 52 inch shaft and try to qualify for Mesquite.
midd
PostDemPixls

Postby BS1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Mk wrote:Yeah I saw the screen so if it was accurate he wasn't bullshitting me.

9.5 degrees 4 LYFE

7.5 for lyfe...thats on my old R510....which I still use

my R9 has an 8.5 but with an xtra stiff shaft
It is what it is......
BS1
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby Mk » Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Sucks to be Webb Simpson....hopefully they'll finally change the rule.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?s ... rulechange

I'd say the other one that doesn't make sense is not being able to repair spike marks. Not sure I've ever really understood that rule.
Chris Broussard wannabe
Mk
Title Town

Postby TeeDub » Mon May 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Mk wrote:I'd say the other one that doesn't make sense is not being able to repair spike marks. Not sure I've ever really understood that rule.

you would have everyone beating a path to the cup if that were allowed. Anything/everything could be considered a spike mark. 6 hours rounds,hello!
TeeDub
Alt-Tab Master

Postby Sim » Mon May 02, 2011 9:28 pm

I don't disgaree, but if that's going to be the rule, I think they shouldn't allow them to fix old ball marks either then, which is permissible right now.
Sim
PostDemPixls

Postby Mk » Mon May 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Yeah that's kinda where I was going with it. I suppose I wouldn't expect guys to be pulling bullshit but that's probably too much to ask.
Chris Broussard wannabe
Mk
Title Town

Postby Sim » Wed May 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Sabbatini is a prick...who knew?

Oh wait, everyone.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/art ... um=twitter
Sim
PostDemPixls

Postby One Up in Peabody » Wed May 04, 2011 11:13 pm

the funniest thing about that story is that the third player in the group was Pat Perez...not exactly a choir boy
"You could shit your pants and probably still bag something out of there" - BLuc describing Blush in Vegas
One Up in Peabody
Stoolie 4 Life

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports