Politics thread

Typical El Presidente Random Thoughts type stuff

Who should be the President of the United States?

Barack Obama
15%
Sarah Palin
5%
Tom Brady
39%
Other
41%

Total votes : 41

Postby vtexposfan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Old Scratch wrote:The reason docs are test happy can be summed up thusly: medical malpractice lawyers who win obscene jury awards for their clients.

Again, it comes down to how people feel, right? Who determines the dollar amount to be awarded? Who determines that a botched surgery is worth 5 million dollars, or 10 million dollars, or nothing? 12 people, who act based on how they feel. Do they hate doctors? Or do they really feel badly for the mistreated patient?
"and yes, an autistic kid is right." - MCA

"I didn't threaten your sister. It would be the time of her life. fucking unicorns would come out of the sky and start singing and shit." - B Luc to Basket
vtexposfan
Canton Stalker

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:45 pm

You can't legislatively (arbitrarily) cap damages awarded by a jury. These medmal cases are fact intensive and ALL DIFFERENT.

All you fucking yahoo's trying to regulate tort judgments out of honor for doctors who can't afford malpractice insurance premiums ought to be encouraging med schools to toughen their standards lest we have more substandard doctors in the world.

Insurers who insure shitty doctors who fuck up people's lives shouldn't be awarded protection. I can agree that some med-mal judgment's are way out of whack with reality, but capping damages will just lead to more shitty doctoring without ANY recourse from patients.

Dr. Scal, oh, you cut the wrong leg off, sucks for me, I can only get 50K and I'm down a leg.

I hate MedMal laywers as much as the next guy; but until any of you can come up with a plan that works, stop promoting the proposition.

Postby Old Scratch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:07 pm

vtexposfan wrote:Who determines the dollar amount to be awarded? Who determines that a botched surgery is worth 5 million dollars, or 10 million dollars, or nothing?

Lawyers. Or law clerks.

vtexposfan wrote:12 people, who act based on how they feel. Do they hate doctors? Or do they really feel badly for the mistreated patient?

Forgot a question: Or are they heavily swayed by the trial lawyer?
Beat Army
Old Scratch
Professional Bike Rider

Postby B Luc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Comedy = Glen Beck saying "white culture", and then refusing to explain what "White Culture" is.
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby Old Scratch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:13 pm

Chikezie wrote:All you fucking yahoo's trying to regulate tort judgments out of honor for doctors who can't afford malpractice insurance premiums ought to be encouraging med schools to toughen their standards lest we have more substandard doctors in the world.

You think medical schools, in general, have slack standards compared to, say, law schools?
Beat Army
Old Scratch
Professional Bike Rider

Postby Old Scratch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:16 pm

Breaking News:

Senate committee rejects public option
The Senate Finance Committee, by a 15-to-8 vote, has rejected the creation of a new government-run health insurance plan.

http://www.boston.com/
Beat Army
Old Scratch
Professional Bike Rider

Postby B Luc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:16 pm

M'eh
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby K-G » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Old Scratch wrote:You think medical schools, in general, have slack standards compared to, say, law schools?

I'm taking med schools over law schools in a walk. Just don't tell my wife.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby TEE » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:49 pm

B Luc wrote:Comedy = Glen Beck saying "white culture", and then refusing to explain what "White Culture" is.

Beck on CNN = tolerable
Beck on Fox = Complete lunatic

Obama hates white people is as dumb as Bush hates black people. Pretty sure the only color a politician responds to is green.
TEE
Alt-Tab Master

Postby B Luc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:50 pm

I just think its funny that he was asked to explain/define something he said, and he refused to and looks like a fucking idiot to anyone w/ 1/2 a brain.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby K-G » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:55 pm

After watching the entire Katie Couric unedited interview, I legit felt sorry for the guy. He has absolutely no clue what he is talking about and is so out of touch with reality. Everything is just for attention and ratings.

Yet he's still Drew Bledsoe's idol.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby B Luc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 pm

But he's making a ton of dough, i'm sure.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:05 pm

K-G wrote:
Old Scratch wrote:You think medical schools, in general, have slack standards compared to, say, law schools?

I'm taking med schools over law schools in a walk. Just don't tell my wife.

Not even close.

But lawyers aren't complaining about insuring themselves against malpractice claims.

Either way, that's neither here nor there.

Postby Old Scratch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Chikezie wrote:Not even close. But lawyers aren't complaining about insuring themselves against malpractice claims.

That doesn't make one bit of sense.
Beat Army
Old Scratch
Professional Bike Rider

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:16 pm

Are lawyers positioning lobbyists to encourage lawmakers to enact laws that limit a plaintiff's damages in a malpractice suit against an attorney? Not to my knowledge, no.

Or is that doctors? We got on this topic discussing tort reform, so that judgments against doctors could be capped, no?

I'm confused, maybe you're talking about something else. I used the medical school example as something the medical insurers/industry can do to try and help their own cause instead of just trying to pass laws. I don't know how we turned this to lawyers and law schools.

PreviousNext

Return to Misc