Daily Mail- A Chinese woman has claimed she was left with a scratched eyeball after her iPhone 5 exploded. The phone user, surnamed Li from Dalian, said she felt that her iPhone was hot after talking on it for 40 minutes. She said that when she tried to end the call on the touch screen phone it was unresponsive and then it exploded at the top right hand corner, cracking the screen and sending particles of the device into her eyes. Li said that she bought the phone last September and had dropped it on one occasion, leaving the phone with a small crack on its upper right corner, reported Want China Times. Last month it was claimed that an air stewardess was killed by an electric shock when she answered a call on her iPhone 5 while it was recharging.
As a manufacturer, one of your main priorities should always be trying to make sure your product doesn’t have a tendency to explode due to normal, everyday use. That’s an objectively good business policy. And you can hire the best engineers in the world and do all the testing you want to ensure that you’ve taken all the necessary precautions to avoid, but there’s certain things you can’t prepare for. There are always going to be people out there that will eventually push your product to its absolute limit and use it for something it was never intended to do, like surnamed Li from Dalian and her 40 minute phone conversation. That’s like someone deciding to see how their Prius can handle a jump off of a 50 foot dirt ramp. It’s 2013. Who uses a phone as a phone anymore? With all the available technology if you’re still using your phone to talk to someone for more than five minutes you’re almost asking to have it explode in your face. That’s just common sense.